Help with trying to stop cutting

i_love_you

I've been cutting for 5 months now and I'm able to really talk to two people about it, my aunt and my best friend.

My best friend wants me to talk to my parents so they can help me get help or talk to a doctor so I can get medication but I'm not really ready to tell either of them because my parents will flip out and I don't like doctors... But I'm trying to stop on my own... which is going good I think but it has only been six days. I have been wanting to cut so bad but I just keep thinking about everyone in my life and what my aunt and best friend have told me.. But I know that I will not be able to control the emotions anymore because I'm not strong enough and no one seems to understand why I turn to cutting they just think that its stupid and they just tell me that I need to stop... they don't get that it keeps me calm down and clear my head but if anyone has any advice please help me!!

You know what you need to do, my friend. DO tell your parents. Yes, they'll be upset. But only because they'll feel guilt at not having noticed that you were having problems and turned to this drastic form of dealing with those problems.

I'm VERY glad you told your aunt, though-what about HER telling your parents, would that make it easier? Or her being with you when you told them? You know she's worried as heck about you, and wants what's best for you, as does your best friend. And the professional help will be a LOT easier to come by if you do. And yes, you will have to see a doctor. But it's not a shameful thing, not in the least. EVERYONE could use therapy at some point, myself included. It's the people who say they DON'T need it that need it the most!

Don't be afraid, hon. Sit down with your parents, or just one if you're more comfortable that way, and just let them know what's going on with you and that you need help dealing with some things. If you've gotten to the cutting stage of depression, yes, help beyond you just stopping is needed, because stopping the cutting doesn't stop the underlying problem. I really, REALLY hope you'll talk to your folks or ask your aunt to help you with this so you can get on the right track and work at getting your life as you want it. And in the meantime, we're always here for you.

Mar

hi i went through a stage of cutting myself last year i had a lot of stress in my life and felt like i couldn't take anymore so i cut myself and it made all the stress go away just for a bit but long enough for me to clear my head it started off as a couple time a month then week then everyday. the thing that made me stop was my bro walking in on me and the pain that i saw accross his face really made it all very real and i realised that i couldn't go on like this. so i tryed to stop on my own and even though it was really hard i managed it i havn't cut myself for 6 months now and i feel so much stronger than i did before. and if i can do then you can to i'm not saying it will be easy but uve got the support of your friend and aunt good luck

as a cutter, i don't feel like i can give the best advice, but here is my opinion:

it will be easiest if you really want to stop cutting, and want to stop cutting for YOU

every time you want to cut, think about all the reasons you want to stop and how it would feel to be able to say you've quit

attempt to find another way to channel all your stress and emotions

-EmptySoul

I think you should just stop right now and not do it again. Ik that it is hard, ive been doing it for 7 years and still havnt quit but its not a good thing to start. Why did you start in the first place that is the question you really need to ask yourself. Do you want to quit? It will screw up your life and really scar your body, trust me. I think getting a shrink will help you clear things and express your emotions. Maybe you should try drawing when u feel like cutting or sumthin to take your mind off it or express your self another way. No matter if uve just started or if uve been doing it along time, it still has a very high risk of ending in death. many ppl would miss you if you did die. SO PLEASE STOP WHILE YOUR AHEAD!!!

sarah

I know that everyone is telling you to just stop. But they obviously dont understand. i am a cutter and from experience you should see a therapist and tell your parents.i know this is hard but maybe you could have your friend and your aunt sit down with yiou and your parents to explain to them that u cut. Also let them know why when and how long u have been cutting. This way they can help you.This is not going to happen over night you have got to wait for the right time. The right time is when you feel comfortable. I hope this helps and i wish u the best of luck

meagan

om me and let me know how things go

i myself is a cutter and i always wanted 2 stop and coz i have been doing it since i was 9 years old i cant but pls try and stop its not good i am now 15 comin 16 and i try my hardest 2 stop but because my parents and my older bro died in a cra crash wen i was 2 i have that on my mind and i also get badly bullied at skool! but tlk 2 ur parents and let them get u help so u can stop pls anyway tell me how it goes email me at jess1412003@yahoo.co.uk thanxs kisha xx

please don't. it's not worth it. you're missing out on so much. it doesnt seem like it now but it's true. you're special and you can be strong enough to beat this and itll be so worth it. i know you don't know me, but please trust that. cutting (and suicide, etc.) is not a subject to be taken lightly. it's scary and i've recenetly dealt with it personally. if you or anyone you know ever considers it, please reconsider. life is too precious and there are other ways to cope; it solves nothing. please keep this in mind and remember that the dark clouds will lift. you are not alone, remember that. this too shall pass and you will see that. get a hobby, hang with friends, make some friends, listen to music, watch good movies, anything that will make you happy, its out there. contact me if you want, take care

link removed

link removed

link removed

------

aim - idioteque182

msn - email removed

icq - 211613003

link removed

well thank you all very much for your advice and i havent cut myself yet.. im doing pretty good. But i just cant find it in me to talk to my parents about cutting myself. i know thats what i should do but i cant and my aunt cant be there to help me because she lives in california and i live in colorado. i think its because i'm not ready to talk to them about it and i'm still really scared of their reaction. but i was reading on the internet that a good way to take your mind off cutting is to squeeze ice in your hands so if i need to i will try that and hopefully that will help.. well if anyone needs to talk or w.e. my IM is bourquescc and my email is email removed and i will let everyone know how it works out i just need the courage to talk to my parents about everything.

-Kaitlin

hey

Well I hope the advice everyone is giving you is being helpful to you. Its alright if you cant talk to your parents. Maybe you should try to get help thru someone else like next time you go to the doctor tell her/him about it and im sure they could get you the help you need and want. I think you are a very nice person, even tho i dont even tho you but it would be nicer if you would just stop. It gets very addicting and your body gets very ugly. Well hopefully you get the help you want and your parents wont be mad about it. Just try and tell them sometime and if you cant well thats okay. If you wanna talk sumtime, my email is email removed, so is my msn messenger, ttyl

Sarah

• 7 years later...

i get why you cut,i know its not for your head or anything like that,you do it cuz it makes you fell better, i dont think you schould tell your parents, i havent, when my friend told her mom, she filled out and sent her to a mental place, you probley have troulble with expressing emotions for some people its hard to, but you do need to tell your friend why you cut and next time when you fell like you need to call her talk to her get your mind off of it, if she dosent anser or somethin think of you arm as being hers or someone els you love and how you would fell if they did something like that, know thats the same way they fill. you probly know this but its not wroth it, your probly addicted to it like i am, but if you really want to quit, your friends well be with you no matter what, youll be fine, trust me

Archived