Hey everyone, it's been 13 months since devastating break-up of 3 year relationship. Just wanted to post this to give anyone out there who knows they have no choice but to move on but are finding it difficult a boost. Similar story as to many others, lost my flat/job/moved back with my parents, couldn't find work for 4 months afterward, lived on a friends sofa for 3 months trying to get back on my feet, got a job, got fired from job again. I was looking around this site quite a bit for a several months after, now I feel I've moved far enough on to come back and give how I found the way.

I won't go in to why the relationship failed, as it's not really important, but it was a messy, drawn out break-up. The girl had just about finished her teacher training after university, which is where we met, and got a job lined up overseas after the break-up (whilst we were still in contact). Needless to say, being unemployed at my parents, and then living on a friends sofa completely broke, whilst being convinced she was out there somewhere having the time of her life forgetting all about me, just made me bitter and angry.

Well, 11 months after the actual break-up, before I got fired from my second job for issues relating to still being hung up about what had happened (like not showering before work, being all down etc), a person I met there got a job teaching English in Thailand. He said if I wanted, there was the opportunity for me to teach in Thailand too. I was apprehensive, but when I got fired (technically, I quit - I felt they were going to fire me and I felt 'I don't need them, 'em' so I walked in and quit), I contacted this friend and using my last pay cheque, within 3 weeks I had landed in Thailand.

One of the hurtful sentences from her at the time was "You're a loser. I have my future to look forward to". (Haha) Well, now I am doing pretty much the exact same job! So that solved the "She's right, she's better than me" bull you convince yourself of. I'm in a country where there are sooo many beautiful, sexy women that make my ex look like crap. And everywhere I go, girls are jumping over each other to speak to me. Even if they have boyfriends, standing right next to them in clubs, 2 girls every table will start grinding on me! Walking down the street is like walking down the red carpet, it's something that has to be experienced to be believed. I hated my previous jobs, but this job is at a small Thai secondary school and the kids all see me as a rockstar, the only white teacher at the school. We sing, dance, play football, I pick up a guitar and play and sing with them, and the Thai teachers all love me too. I'm young, 25 years old, blonde hair, blue eyes, and I'm in the north east of the country where there are not many foreigners, and if there are, they're usually old men. Being a young white foreigner is a rare species, and the Thai's just love to see me! I smile all day every day here, it's impossible not to. And when you smile, you know the world smiles back!

Sure, I still think about her now and then. But the thing is, I am happy being single now. I am in a place where if I met a fantastic girl, I could give it 100% again. It doesn't hurt so much any more if something reminds me of her. If she ever gets curious and checks up on what i'm up to, I believe she'll begin to think she made a mistake. The details of what was said and what happened during the break-up just isn't important to me any more. I have moved on. And you will too! Believe it! And if you're not happy after some decent length of time after a break-up, it just means, you're not really happy with your own life. Only you can change it!

Anyway, just wanted to post this to give anyone out there who knows they have no choice but to move on but are finding it difficult a boost. Hang in there, it will be OK.

Archived