Is there a fine line between being in love and being insecure and obsessed?

renewing

Love means you care about the person, their well being, and want what is best for them. Obsession means you have no life outside of that person. You fill your entire life with them which prevents both you and them from having a whole, happy, healthy life.

Pretty much what MoonTiger said. Would you be happy without them? Do you still do stuff without them that makes you happy and fulfilled? That's usually a good litmus test.

insecure is when they give you a reason to be concerned.

Insecure is generally when you are concerned about something that really shouldn't concern you.

no there is not a fine line between them. they are very far apart.

true love is when you care about the other persons well being, their growth, you feel a connection with them. it involves respect and acceptance of the person as they are.

obsession and insecurity is all about ego. it involves you trying to feel good about yourself. you worry are you good enough, you need him to prove time and time again that he loves you. usually it involves jealousy and mistrust. if the person shows love to you you feel 'enough', if they are mad at you or indifferent you lose all your self worth.

see the difference- they are a mile apart.

Well maybe in my situation it's a bit different I don't know. I guess I fit the description of love, I feel like I have my own life outside of him, and I feel like I could be happy without him, but I also feel like I idealize him and think he's the only one out there. Which I don't know if that's dangerous territory

I feel like no matter what there is something there for that person to begin with in order to start a relationship. And I feel like depending on who you are and your perception, and past experiences, after you form that relationship, you either go down the love route, or the insecure route. I believe they both have something to do with obsession. Love being good obsession-you always want to make that person happy no matter what and spend lots of time together. Insecure being bad obsession which a person may demand, expect, and fear what there spouse is doing, therefore they want to constantly be with that person. It eventually turns into pure insecure obsession, and both partners become annoyed with each other but feel trapped in the relationship because the non-insecure loves that person so much, but the insecure person has anxiety for leaving for a number of different reasons.

I have been feeling recently that I cannot tell the difference between when I am feeling insecure and obsessed with someone vs. when I feel in love with them. I really believe it's a fine line! Does anyone else feel this too?

You're not alone. I feel it all the time with my bf. Sometimes I wonder too, do I love him too much or I'm just being obsessed and insecure? Example, I would be anxious if he didn't text or call me at certain times. In the morning because I get up earlier than him, I text him first then I go to work. At work if after 9AM I don't see his text, I start to be anxious and difficult to focus on my work, usually he would text me and said he got up late, then suddenly it's like a big rock is lifted off my heart and I feel relief and back to normal activity. That's absolutely NOT love and I'm still figuring it how to work on that with my therapist (I think that's low self-esteem and lack of self love)

I asked my bf what love means to him he said when he thinks about me all the time, when he misses me when I'm not around him and wanting what best for me. For myself I always use 1 Cor 13 to define love : Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. Bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

It's very hard to do like above, but just remember when you do it for yourself it's not love.

Archived