ACL Tear/Rupture

I had the operation 12 years ago. they took part of my hamstring and I have nevr regained full strengh in my hamstring since. I dont know if the surgery is the problem or not becauise I had other injuries. My Doctor was the best surgeon in Canada and does hundreds of these operations and the pro hockey players too, and he was wooed down to the U.S. for bigger bucks, so he probably knew what he was doing.

I had my ACL reconstructive surgery in the beginning of December, and I'm still going through rehab for it. I had my Petallar Tendon moved. I haven't had many problems with it other than strength really. My recovery has been very slow, much to my frustration.

My soccer coach had his repaired a few months ago as well, in October or September I believe. He had a cadaver used and he was back to 95% in about 4 months.

Yeah, since I was abloe to start walking again, I did 1 month of supervised Physical Therapy @ Kaiser Perm. in Bellflower, CA.

I've been continuing this on my own by hitting the gym at least 3 days a week and doing mostly machines for my legs. Squats seem to hurt. Leg strength has improved, but is not equal to my healthy leg at all.

If I get hamstring or kneecap graft, I'm going with Dr. Funahashi @ Kaiser in Irvine. If I decide to get a allograft (cadaver), I'm getting it done with Dr. Mandelbaum (US Soccer Team's Surgeon) in Santa Monica.

I really really would like allograft, because I don't want to take healthy parts out of me, but I'm just so afraid of the minimal disease transmission or rejection. And I'd have to put faith in the lab that harvests that graft.

Archived