How do I find the happiness inside my mind?

"Happiness, more or less, it's just a change in me, something in my liberty. Happiness, coming and going, I watch you look at me, watch my fever growing, I know just where I am, but how many corners do I have to turn? How many times do I have to learn? All the love I have is in my mind?"

I'm sick of having to rely on other people, things, and drugs to be happy. How do I find it inside my mind? How can I get these feelings at the snap of a finger? I was feeling happy and high yesterday and a few days ago, but now I feel like crap again because the fantasy I created in my mind, of love, of companionship, isn't real.

I find it by being other-centered and doing things for other people in need - that definitely lifted my spirits.

A few months ago, I ran to be by a friend's side when she was extremely sick, alone and scared - just out of the hospital - despite having a lot going on for myself. I mentioned what I had done to another friend, we'll call her "B." A few weeks ago, B was very sick but didn't tell me until after she was on the mend. I said "I wish you would have told me - I could have come over or brought food, etc" She said "you know what, just knowing I had friends was enough for me and in particular I remember your story about dropping everything to be there for your friend a few months ago so I knew you would do the same for me and that made me feel great."

Can't describe the happiness I felt from that statement. I don't write this to toot my own horn but to suggest that you don't go down the path of happiness through being self-absorbed and focusing on "why am I not happy?" Get out there and make yourself useful.

" How do I find it inside my mind? How can I get these feelings at the snap of a finger?

Emit,

Happiness is not something that is based from moment to moment. It is something that must be looked back on in retrospect. Anything that brings you pleasure in the immediate sense is nothing more than instant gratification, and will more than likely leave you feeling more empty than you began.

Happiness in my life comes from selfworth, being there for family and firends, helping those who mean something to me as best as I can, and not from obligation, but just becase I want to.

No one else can make you happy, and I hate to be the one to tell you, it will never come at the snap of fingers.

Best of luck

You may find this funny or you may not, but it gave me a good belly laugh of a slightly jaded sort.

Do you find yourself wondering if you are happy a lot?

Wondering and worrying about being happy is one the slipperiest tricks of negative thinking! It really is.

Happiness is fleeting. This is a fact. Not a soul is happy all the time nor at the snap of their fingers. It comes, it goes. You have already observed this!

So now stop worrying and thinking about it. Just let it be.

If you ask me, peace of mind is far more valuable and worthy a state than happiness. And it is something that can be worked at and increased no matter what the circumstances.

The example Batya gave of thinking of others is an example of developing a stable base of peace and contentment.

We are all in this together and yet have to slug it out solo.

Buddhism helps me. It has all the great universal lessons in it. Pay Attention.

tc