Is anyone else this shallow?

Slypknot

Hi everyone! Time for me to get some help from all of you out there....

My situation is probably close to most. I was with a woman for 10yrs (married for 5) and due to many many many reasons - we got divorced about 1yr ago. So I'm still feeling the pain of all that and dealing with the loss as best I can.

My delimna is how shallow my life has seemed to become. It started when I decided I was no longer going to sit at home and sulk! I was going to go out with friends, go club'n, do all the things I missed out on when I was with my X for a large part of my life!

I feel fantastic when I go out, meet a few girls, and one of them shows interest in me. For some reason I'm on top of the world, life could be no better, I am a true man! The night is complete! This feeling lasts for quite a while and I almost dont mind spending a few nights at home, cleaning up, working out at the gym, etc.... I'm "fulfilled" in a retarted kinda way.

BUT - when I go out and get no leads, or the girls I met before fall through one by one - I feel horrible/empty....like I'm a loser or something. I start questioning everything about myself, am I too fat? am I boring? what's wrong with me? I get to where I almost dont wanna bother dating anymore - like what's the use???

I guess I don't understand why I don't feel 'happiness' in my life unless I have leads into another relationship with someone. I mean it's silly - but for some reason I base my own self image on what other women say/do to me.... yuk.

Any advice on this would be most appreciated! I'm up for trying anything to get over this....

it sounds to me like you're just addicted to the "high" u experience when a chick is into u. u have to realize that u don't need some girl to pay attention to u so that u can feel like you're worth something- you're awesome whether or not u get picked up 0 times or 50 times. u don't need anyone to validate u- u are great on your own! keeping this in mind, if u just really wanna meet an awesome girl to experience a relationship with, my best advice is this: i find that if i go somewhere like a club and i decide not to think about or try to pick up guys, the guys come a running. it's like people can sense when you're on the prowl or something and that seems to send them running. don't think about or try to pick up so much- girls don't like super aggressive guys. good luck

Slypnot,

Don't give up on dating. There is nothing wrong with the person you are, and there is nothing to be ashamed of in feeling incomplete without a woman. You are used to being in a meaningful relationship and I think you're looking for that kind of unconditional acceptance and presense.

I don't think going to clubs (bars are the same deal) will garner you many results as far as women looking for a serious or at least meaningful relationship. Maybe you should try other arenas. Whatever your hobbies and interests are, get involved in something social relating to those. Meeting someone through a friend is sometimes a neat opportunity.

You will meet someone. And it's OK to not feel so good about yourself when you are alone. Whenever you get those thoughts, do something constructive--go for a jog, spend time with someone in your life who cares, give something back to your community in some way. By being positive and proactive you are bound to meet someone great.