Hating being a loner

Hi everyone. I want to know the best way to meet new people. I'm super shy and I get anxiety attacks when I go out to do things on my own. I only have one best friend but she is moving away from me and I miss having a lot of friends. My boyfriend isn't very social. His idea of being social is being on a hockey forum. I guess I just feel to young to be shut in at home. I play darts ever monday but it just doesn't seem enough. I want other friends to confide in and to go out and have fun with. Any advice?

It's hard to find...but you have to keep working on them.

For example, I met a friend on campus just because I carried a guitar around. We talked for a bit and exchanged e-mails. Now we're pretty close friends. But I didn't think we'd become that close when we first met.

It's a building process, you can't expect too much right away, I just happened to meet a friend who's like me in many ways. You have to start slow, find a common interest then branch out from there, at least that's from my experience. I mean if you find someone who isn't much like you, it would be much harder to confide in them.

Well by what you've written I wouldn't call you a "loner" at all, at least not by what I define the word as. I would never use it to describe someone but I would define it as one whom has absolutly no friends or out-goings. Now, you have said that you have a best friend, even if she leaves you it's still a best friend. You also have a boyfriend. That hardly sounds like someone that is alone.

I just think you might be putting a negitive swing on your situiation. Try to look at what you have, you have an aweful lot more that many as some people have absolutly nobody to talk to, even when they need to. Relax

• 1 month later...

Hey

Im in a similar situation as you except that my bestie moved away and the fact that she kept travelling overseas and meeting new people made us more distance and now I'm stuck with no one at the moment and its been like this for over one year.

It used to be so easy before, like back in high school when everyone knew each other and so you could meet someone and they would introduce u to other people and so on. Now its like people have things to do or they are busy, and I feel like I'm interrupting someone while they are doing something or whatever. I'm not used to getting out there and just talking to people.

I wish someone could teach me how to meet people and make friends

What about taking a class? Is there something you've always wanted to learn how to do? Or if you belong to a gym you could take a group exercise class. I think the key is putting yourself into new environments since the ones that you are in right now aren't working to get you new friends.