How do you know if a LDR can lead to a real relationship?

So I met a guy in October while he was visiting here on business. We instantly hit it off except I live on the East Coast of the US and he lives on the West Coast. At first I thought we'd just be friends but I went out to see him for few days while I visiting another friend. We had the best time and he was the sweetest guy! I felt like I had an instant boyfriend for the days we were together. We email each other a lot but actually don't talk much on the phone. Since I'm in the east I go to bed sometimes before he even gets home from work. I really like this guy but I can't figure out if he's really open to having a LDR or just keeping in touch with me for the possibility of one? I've kept my feelings at bay somewhat for I don't want to scare him off. I believe he genuinely really likes me, but being so far apart obviously it's difficult for anyone to consider having a serious relationship.

I'm trying to stay realistic. But I just don't want to waste my time with someone who ultimately is not thinking long term. I'm totally enjoying getting to know him and thinking about seeing him in March or April. I don't want to get hurt or waste my time if he's not open to the possibility of a long term relationship as well. How do I handle this guy? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Just keep getting to know him. You never know what the future holds and there is no way for us to know either. You may not be wasting time.... he could become a lifelong friend if nothing else comes of it.

I actually met my husband ONLINE in 2002. We did meet in person and guess what, March will be our three year aniversary as a married couple. One of us had to move though. I moved to be with him and it was a 641 mile jump. I guess it was meant to be ..... for us.

Just keep getting to know him. You never know what the future holds and there is no way for us to know either. You may not be wasting time.... he could become a lifelong friend if nothing else comes of it.

I actually met my husband ONLINE in 2002. We did meet in person and guess what, March will be our three year aniversary as a married couple. One of us had to move though. I moved to be with him and it was a 641 mile jump. I guess it was meant to be ..... for us.

So happy to actually here the happy ending to an online meet story! Thanks for the boost for I too am in a LDR from an online meet. Today is 6 months for us.