Question About Being A Gold Digger....

Lady Bugg

I am reminded of a first date I went on. We met for dessert and coffee. The bill was approximately $25. I knew I did not want to see him again so I offered to pay my share. He "mis-heard" me and said "oh- thanks! I love to be pampered!" I gently but clearly repeated that I had offered to pay my share only. He called the next day to ask me out again. "Next . . . "

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't foget ladies and gents, that a woman can be a gold-digger without the guy having tons of money. They don't have to be millionaires, or rich. They can be blue collar, middle-class. The point is, is that woman is only dating him for the money/gifts/trips/accessories etc.

True and excellent point. You are right. I once had a GF who's friend was a notorious gold digger and proud of it. She didn't go for wealthy guys cause they're harder to find. She just went for any guy with a decent job and she got all she could, then moved on to the next sucker. She'd just got a guy to buy her a new sports car.

This same GD once tried to talk me into buying my GF a mink coat. Seriously. I told her that if I wanted to waste $500, I'd buy myself a fancy, gas operated shotgun that I don't need, but would enjoy. That shut her up. That was 15 years ago when $500 was like a $1,000 today.

My GF was nice and not a gold digger at all. I don't hold her responsible for her older friend's behavior.

Well, since the thread is now moving towards the general subject of "golddiggers," I will point out here that men, just as well as women, can use their partner for money. I've seen it happen in real life, and I've seen stories of it here on eNotalone.

So, I would hope that when people hear or say the word "golddigger," they are not just associating the term with women only.

True and good point. I agree with you Scout.

I don't know. I think the guy from the original post could have done worse to never ask the insecure question and just use the woman without any real expectation of having a future. Sounds like as maladroit as he was to ask it (and yes, I think it was insulting), he probably was concerned. I have seen a lot of guys that got dumped by their wives the moment they went bankrupt or lost a really lucrative job. It's similar to the man who leaves his wife for a younger woman. These people use until they've gotten everything they wanted. If you look at it from teh guy's perspective, he may be sincerely interested in pursuing something but wants the real deal. I think it's easy to see one side of the coin until you're on the other side. Women now have to deal with the same problem but fortunately or unfortunately, men are more motivated by chemistry and youthfulness than they are money. They don't appear to make the best gold diggers.