question regarding this foreign girl at my school

hey everybody, so there is this good looking girl from europe that showed up at school and apparently is here for a little while. I'm not sure if she moved here or what, but she's here for a while since she is taking classes in school. She speaks English, so that's not a problem, the only problem is that I don't know what to go up and say to her to get to know her. Being from so far away what are some things i could say that would put us on common ground, more or less, and kind of break the ice? thanks for any suggestions

Word of warning though: foreigners tend to get bombarded with questions about their homeland and how they are liking the US. After a while it gets a little old and they welcome other questions that go above and beyond the thing that is most noticeable about them (the fact that they are foreign). So while starting out with a question about her homeland is good, don't dwell on it. Chances are, she'll appreciate it if you start talking to her about things that you'd talk about with any American girl!

Word of warning though: foreigners tend to get bombarded with questions about their homeland and how they are liking the US. After a while it gets a little old and they welcome other questions that go above and beyond the thing that is most noticeable about them (the fact that they are foreign).

I wouldn't agree with this so much. Yes, it may get old, but we get used to it. I do anyway. I don't really mind being asked those kinds of questions. What bugs me is when people assume I am right off the plane... I have lived here ten years.

yeah, I would ask her where she is from, how she likes it here.... chit chat with her... and maybe suggest that you would like to take her to a burger joint or to a popular park/coffee shop/etc... in town. I know if I were a foreign student, I would definitely say yes to an offer to be shown around a city I do not know...

I've actually found foreigners a lot more receptive to conversation than most people. I don't know what it is.

I met an amazing Italian girl over the summer. She was actually very embarrassed/nervous at first. I didn't realize she was from Italy until I said "Can you say that again?" with wide eyes. It made her blush haha.

But don't worry about it man, I've found foreigners to be more than happy to talk to people. Most would like to talk to new people and would like to learn about people who talk to them as well.

I wouldn't agree with this so much. Yes, it may get old, but we get used to it. I do anyway. I don't really mind being asked those kinds of questions. What bugs me is when people assume I am right off the plane... I have lived here ten years.

Right off the plane? The expression is "fresh off the boat". It's not just white people who say that either. I have an Americanized Cambodian male friend who sent for his female penpal in Cambodia to come over to USA and marry him. He made a joke about her being fresh off the boat. I had to laugh. We had to laugh. All jokes aside, he's a really nice guy and if she's as nice as he thinks she is, they should be a nice couple.

Right off the plane? The expression is "fresh off the boat". It's not just white people who say that either. I have an Americanized Cambodian male friend who sent for his female penpal in Cambodia to come over to USA and marry him. He made a joke about her being fresh off the boat. I had to laugh. We had to laugh.

here we just call them fobs

Sure foreign exchange students are easy to talk to. I think they're probably outgoing people or they wouldn't be an exchange student.

However, easy to talk to does not necessarily mean easy to date. For one thing, a foreign girl is going to be hit on like the only grasshopper in a lake full of starving trout. Americans do like foreigners at lot and tend to be attracted to them, IMO.

So the competiton is likely fierce and she might already be getting annoyed with that. Talking to her should be easy. Getting a date might be difficult.

None the less, it's possible, especially if you ask her out before the other guys do. i.e. - before she's overwhelmed with the attention, tired of it, or already taken. Hop to it buddy.