I need opinion's here...

dl217

Ok, im asking this out of curiosity, and to help me with this online dating stuff since i havent really tried it before.

For those of you who have been looking for relationships or dates online, i have 2 questions.

#1. How long is too long to meet someone in person after you start emailing/IM/or talking on the phone?

#2. Has the other person ever made you wait so long to meet in person, causing you to just give up? If so, how long did you last till you cracked?

• Like 2

1) It depends on how comfortable you are in the situation. For women, it's slightly different because there is more of a danger--I'm not saying this correctly, but I think that in general women have to take more precautions about certain things. The thing is, it's okay to talk to multiple people. In fact, I think it's a good idea, so you don't put all your eggs in a basket.

i agree with LostinMyThoughts..

i dont think there is any set rules.. i wouldnt wait too long though. i know ppl from both ends of the scale .some want to meet up within the first few conversations.. some wait months and months.

if your in the same town.or close by then there is no reason to wait to long.

Being one who met the love of her life online (insert wisecracks here for you naysayers) I carefully screened the guys and kind of read between the lines in emails IM's etc. When I finally got the nerve I asked this guy, THE ONE, if he had a spare bedroom as I did not want to be way up in NY state and have to drive back if it did not work out. I was very honest about it. Ok, so when we got to his house (we met halfway and he took me the rest of the way and friends knew where I was going) Yep, I jumped HIS bones when we got there. He still laughs about the spare bedroom thing...Actually we laugh about a lot of things...still...6 months later. For men it is tricky meeting someone online, I met another man who was married and I would not go there, but we became friends and he told me some absolute horror stories about the women he met, asking for money, weird sexual requests (on the highway!) and other stuff. There is no "correct" timeline for love and there are no rules. Take care of you. Good luck and let us know.

There is no hard and fast rule for timing the first in-person meeting. I prefer soon ... usually within a few weeks. I broke off an online relationship after 6 weeks on the phone and no credible reason why we couldn't meet.

The biggest difference between meeting someone in person and meeting someone online is that you cannot determine if there is physical attraction on the phone, even with pictures. So as a rule of thumb, if you (or the other person) start developing an emotional bond, and are thinking that you would like to have a relationship, meet immediately!!! It avoids a lot of potential pain!

Zack

And once you do meet them in person, in a public place always, especially for woman meeting a new guy.. then be careful not to put upon them who you "hope" and "thought" and "planned" on them being, open your eyes, and your MIND, and be at the top of your intelligence so that your "hopes/dreams/expectations do not blind you to who they might actually reveal themselves to be, and this means taking it slow, getting to know them, and not planning your happiness, hopes or dreams on to them...