I had to put my dog, Mindy, to sleep last year[september 3rd, 2005]. She was 17 when we put her down.

Mindy was the cutest little dog, a dachshund/chihuahua mix. Big brown eyes, long little body, short legs, and a tail that wagged all day. She was my best friend growing up. I told her all my secrets, and I knew she wouldn't [and couldn't] tell anyone. I cried many tears into her soft brown fur. She was always there to hold when I was upset. When I was sick, she'd lay by me on my couch or bed, and somehow make my sickness disappear. Every winter I stayed warm in bed, because her little body would be curled into a ball next to mine.

We were literally inseperable.

She slowly started to get in real bad shape. She couldn't control her bladder, and ruined our basement by going to the bathroom down there all the time. She developed seperation anxiety and would tear up our basement door, ripped up the linolium at the top of our basement stairs, and even distroyed the rubber lining on our garage door. Many of her teeth fell out, she couldn't eat good, and became rather skinny. Neither her sight, or hearing worked well. We'd often find her just standing in the same spot for hours because she didn't know what to do or where to go. I think she may had had arthritis too, because she rarely ever layed down or even sat down. My parents thought it'd be better to save her from this, and put her out of her misery.

I was completely mortified at this. I couldn't lose my best friend. She meant the whole world to me. But, I knew how much pain she was in.

The day came all too quickly. We drove to the vet's office and I held her in my lap during the car ride there. When I walked into the office I didn't think I was going to be able to handle it. I prayed that it wouldn't hurt her, but when the vet put the needle in her vein, she cried out in pain. Somehow I stuck through it though, and watched as my best friend left me. It was the hardest thing I've ever done in my short experience of life. I've learned to let go, but that doesn't mean I don't cry at night still. I miss seeing her curled in a ball on the carpet in a ray of sun. But what i miss most is her sleeping next to me every night, or her bouncing around, absolutely estatic that we've returned home from a going somewhere.

It's still hard, and I think about her a lot, but I just know she's in a better place and is experiencing no pain.

But, today, some memory popped into my head. I got me thinking about her, and I started balling. Is it rediculous that I still cry my eyes out almost everytime I think of my old dog? Wouldn't you think that after over a year I wouldnt cry every time I thought of her? I just hate it. I miss her so much still...

I guess I was just wondering if anyone felt this way about any of their pets that they've lost..

i understand how much you miss her. i had a shepherd-terrier mix for fifteen years. Bridget was every bit as much a member of our family as the rest of us. i remember one day when my kids and i were playing out in front of our house and two escaped Rottweilers came running around a corner toward us. i tried to stop one of them before it got to the kids but it just plowed into me and kept going.

suddenly out of the corner of my eye there was a dark blur. Bridget somehow leaped over our chain link fence and stood between my daughter Natalie and the two giant Rotts; head lowered, front legs spread, snarling and baring her teeth like she meant business--and she did. they both froze instantly, turned and disappeared at high speed. how's that for loyalty?

a few years later Bridget and Natalie were playing in the yard and Bridget just laid on her side in my garden, wagged her tail a couple of times and was gone. it was almost as though one of my own children had died. i'll never forget Bridget if i live to be a hundred.

then there's my PeeWee, a Doxie-Chihuahua like Misty. he doesn't get to stay with me because i live in a 'no dogs allowed' apartment building. that bug-eyed little sucker has more character than a dozen of my two-legged friends. man, i miss him being underfoot!

i even miss the way he tries to stick his butt-scented anteater tongue in my mouth...

link removed

I had a dog for about 14 years.

It was my XMas present when I was 6, and I had to put her down to sleep a decade+ later, when I was in college.

She was a mess too. Dogs end up pretty messed when they´re old, is horrible. Her body was shutting down as well, and the best thing to do was to end up with her misery, it hurted like hell.

I couldn´t even look when they put the needle in. One moment she was there with me and a minut later she was nothing but an empty shell.

What a difficult choice, but there´s really no other way.

You´re really not alone on this one, I still feel terrible about it too, it was as traumatic as losing a family member. It really was.

Personally I think that is a little weird. It has been a year, seems a little long. My cousins dog died a few months ago, had it since I was about 5. Im 19.

They already have new pets. I can understand the sadness and the crying, but it seems like you have been carring this with you for a long time. You should consider getting a new pet. I don't mean to sound unsensitive, but I think it would make you feel better.

Loving a new animal, taking care of a new animal will eventually make you bond with it, help you feel better. Just a suggestion.

i remember one day when my kids and i were playing out in front of our house and two escaped Rottweilers came running around a corner toward us. i tried to stop one of them before it got to the kids but it just plowed into me and kept going.

suddenly out of the corner of my eye there was a dark blur. Bridget somehow leaped over our chain link fence and stood between my daughter Natalie and the two giant Rotts; head lowered, front legs spread, snarling and baring her teeth like she meant business--and she did. they both froze instantly, turned and disappeared at high speed. how's that for loyalty?

aww. this sounds like Mindy. She was a BA for her size. she attacked my neighbors dog, who is an English Mastiff, and probably 5 times her size. She would have done anything to protect me.

you new pup is cute. i dont think i could live anywhere that wouldnt allow my dog. id rather sleep on the streets. lol.

I love my dad, and my dad has aways had Jack Russels, always one.

He calls them Ben and the next one Toby and so one.

hes has about 10 now, for as long as I can remember there has been a dog by my dads side.

Well last year Ben got a groth and had to be put down, well my dad says as hes getting on and gets around in a wheel chare now thats his last dog, no more.

My mum was so upset, she had a pic of Ben by the bed and would say good night to him, my dad how ever would much around the house looking sad and forlarn. Well I had it, so I went and payed £200 for a lovly brown and white puppy Jack Russel. I waited until may dad was in his local pub with his mates and wondered in Puppy in tow. Dad looks at me and I look at him and he looks at the dog, the hole Pub gos Arrrrr.

Befor my dad could say I world I asked the bar made

"Have you got an old sack and some rocks I got this dog see I dont wont, and me dad says he not having another so its into the river with him"

Well my dad had smile on his face the size of the moons

"give him here"

and so dad gets Toby.

some just have to have dogs to make them compleat and thats just how it should be.

this sounds like Mindy. She was a BA for her size. she attacked my neighbors dog, who is an English Mastiff, and probably 5 times her size.

there must be something about the mix of those two breeds that makes them feel a lot bigger than they are. you should have been there the day PeeWee bolted accross the street like a shot and faced down a Great Dane that was being walked down the sidewalk. it just calmly looked down between its front paws at him and then up at its master, as if to say, "Is he for REAL??"

that just reminded me of another funny story: my son Tim was alone in the back yard with this other puppy we used to have (i forget its name; we gave it away when it was still young), when what he describes as a "huge, ugly dog" came in through the open gate, made a beeline for the pup and snatched him up in its jaws by the tail end.

Tim says that he then grabbed his baseball bat, but was afraid to swing it for fear of killing the big mutt or having it turn on him. Well, it just so happened that he wouldn't need the bat; the dog lowered its head after a few seconds, and out tumbled the yelping would-be meal... followed by a generous side helping of puppy turds.

having apparently lost its appetite (and probably thinking that dogmeat tasted like ____ ), the attacker quickly disappeared from whence it came. man, what i wouldn't give to have seen THAT one!

I understand the difficulty of having to have a pet euthanized. I have had a dog that had kidney cancer and he was a long time pet and wonderful guard dog/ protector. He was like a member of the family.

I have had many cats over the years as well that had to be put to sleep as well. It is always difficult to do that, no matter how many times I have had to go through it before.

My thoughts are with you and I realize the empty spot you feel inside for you pet.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had to say goodbye to two dogs. The older one was a wonderful companion and had a full life but had to be euthanised to avoid him suffering. That was nearly three years ago. As time has gone by, I find that the memories I have of him are happy memories that make me feel better. I still miss him, but I know he would not want me to be sad, so I enjoy those happy memories. The younger one was a brilliant dog, and died back in the spring this year after fighting cancer for over three years. When I remember him it still makes me sad sometimes. At some point we accept that they have gone, and then we can remember them without feeling sad, even though we still miss them. With both of them, I know that they had happy lives and that I looked after them, and that helps.