Here's a funny personal ad I saw (dark humor)

OK, so I was bored last night and looked through some women's profiles at a popular dating site. There was one which I found so disgustingly hypocritical, I could only laugh.

Alright, she wrote a mini-thesis on how she wanted to be friends first and carry it forward later. She waxed eloquent on how looks don't matter at all, it's the personality of the person that is important. One can be friends with anyone no matter how ugly, is what she wrote. And how she didn't believe in putting pics up online as it was creepy. OK, anyone wanna take a guess as to her looks? But anyway I didn't care about that. I'm no model myself. Then I went to her section on what she wanted her partner to be. Note, she again mentioned "only friends". She wants her guy....you ready for this?...to be a MINIMUM height of 5'9"!!!!

No, actually she's 5'7". But that's not the point. Here she goes on and on yadda yadda about how looks don't matter. Why then does she select her FRIENDS based on their height?! Don't you see the discrimination here? If she were to say "I believe looks don't matter. All people can make good friends. Only white guys need apply", there'd be lawsuits overnight

yeah, there are a lot of strange profiles out there. it is awfully strange to have a height requirement for a man who is just a friend. clearly, she wants more than friends, but maybe not at first....

I think in this day and age, putting up your photo is something that pretty much everyone does. But some women don't for safety reasons. I've found it a bit more concerning when men don't, because I've found that they often have a wife or a gf on the side, not because they are too shy to put their photo up.

Looks DO matter. She knows that. I think she's just saying that because she wants people to think she's really open or nice. I think it's a little odd she put that though, I mean, wouldn't attractive/unnattractive people reply anyway?

And if it's for a boyfriend I can understand, but for friends, yeah that's just odd...I wouldn't want to be her friend.

New_Horizons, I'm going to take a guess and say you're insecure about your height. Don't worry about it, people like different things.

And when I say, "Looks DO matter." That doesn't mean there's just one ideal for men and women and attraction. Some want really short people, or average height, or tall.

I mean, would YOU want to date a woman who towers over you? Who's severely obese? Who has really bad breath or body odor? Maybe you would but I doubt it. You'd more likely want someone closer to your height, who's at a healthy weight, who practices good hygiene.

And attraction can increase a lot when you get to know someone. Maybe some feature of their's you found really ugly, but when you two talk and

you start falling for who they really are that once unnattractive feature won't even matter anymore.

I often see funny online profiles of both men and women who state how intelligent they are - when they can't even spell the word "intelligent" correctly.

Hahaha..

New_Horizons, I'm going to take a guess and say you're insecure about your height. Don't worry about it, people like different things.

And when I say, "Looks DO matter." That doesn't mean there's just one ideal for men and women and attraction. Some want really short people, or average height, or tall.

I mean, would YOU want to date a woman who towers over you? Who's severely obese? Who has really bad breath or body odor? Maybe you would but I doubt it. You'd more likely want someone closer to your height, who's at a healthy weight, who practices good hygiene.

Yes I am insecure about my height. It stems from an unbroken history of rejection from both short and tall girls. Can you blame me for being a tad bitter?

I wouldn't want to date a girl who was extremely obese or who towered over me. But these are extreme examples. I would have no problem dating a girl who was about 1-2 inches taller than me. You never see girls agreeing to date a guy 1-2 inches shorter than her, or EVEN a couple of inches taller than her. Most girls want a guy who's several inches taller. Short girls are especially notorious for this unreasonable demand. A 5'10 girl would probably date a 6 foot guy but you'll never see a 5'2" girl dating a 5'4" guy. (I'm 5' 5.5" if you're wondering).

As for bad hygiene, well it's the person's fault. All they need to do is brush their teeth and shower daily to get a date. Is it my fault that I'm short?

And attraction can increase a lot when you get to know someone. Maybe some feature of their's you found really ugly, but when you two talk and

you start falling for who they really are that once unnattractive feature won't even matter anymore.

Yes, of course, but getting the conversation going requires at least a *little* bit of open-mindedness from both parties. If girls have a preconcieved notion that short guys are undesirable, and vehemently oppose entering any sort of friendship with them, the opportunity to "get to know" each other never arises.