Anyone know of a good medical site? (you know, one that does NOT list obscure scary fatal diseases when you just have the symptoms of a cold?)

I'd like to diagnose some problems on my own and get tips for handling them. This would be for things like things lacking in my diet, back pain, carpal, etc. I'd like to take care of the little things and/or persistent things myself and just see the doctor if problems persist or are serious (especially given that she is an hour away and thinks I am a hypocondriac).

I have a medical book (the BC Health book, offered free by the government) that I find very helpful, with both diagnoses, how to handle the symptoms and when to see a doctor, but if you don't know what you have, you can't always find the right page!

Anyways, suggestions?

Governments, tertiary institutions and medical associations are the people to trust with online medical advice, try:

US National Library of Medicine/National Institutes of Health (US)

link removed

US Department of Health and Human Services

link removed

link removed

Health Insite, Australian Government

link removed

And on that same merit, no online diagnosis can compare with the one a real doctor can give you. If you're feeling sick and the symptons are unknown enough to you that you don't/can't pass it off as a common virus, then you should see a doctor.

And with things like back pain and iron deficiancy can appear to go away when the more serious causes have just diminished, not disappeared. Also because our bodies are so unique in that area, the symptoms you have might not mirror the actual cause, or look like something else entirely.

Online Diagnosis is good for only two things: 1) Finding obscure relief for minor diseases and 2) Convincing yourself you have cancer.

Heh, maybe so. I do get frustrated with my doctor though, and there isn't much chance of getting a new one due to a shortage. Nobody in my area has room for new patients.

Looked at those sites, but I didn't find them very helpful... Still too vague - I'd like to find out what I actually have, instead a list of a dozen problems/diseases!

Blargh. Guess I'm stuck with the pill-happy doctor.