what is love?

I think that's a question that mankind has been asking for centuries... and will continue asking for many many more!!! I also don't think anyone here can give you the answer, we just keep trying to figure it out ourselves.

I've tried three times to write my thoughts on love here... and I'm not sure I can! I think it's about respect for each, accepting someone for who they are, the ability to be oneself, the desire to sacrafice some to enhance someone else's life.

I'd like to read what others have to say!

The Bible has a great definition of love. There are several different types of love from fondness, to a family type of love, to romantic love. Each of these types of love put in our hearts the desire to treat someone the way real love manifest itself. The fullness of love can only truly be expressed by God and is described in the Bible in 1 Corinthians 13. I think I have finally found love and it was just when I had given up on it with a person.

4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 8Love never fails.

To me, love doesn't have subcategories, but there's simply one emotion, whether it's for a dog, a spouse or a child.

The intensity varies, peaking out in romance or religious ecstasy (so I hear) and concurrent feelings may change the context.

I have no idea what true love is, since that would suggest other love is untrue. If I love my father, is that true love? Sounds strange, eh?

I'll probably soon be corrected.

Love is a beautiful thing...i believe in it....its what drives us forward is it not?!

when is someone so happy? usually when they are in love.

Falling in love in my opinion, is the most scary, amazing, full on, emotional, exhillarating, weird, uncontrolable feelings i have ever had.

People always said to me "you'll know when you are in love" and i sure did!

I also think you 'love' people in different ways....some love is crazy, some love is safe and caring...

lots of different types...

All very individual...

The Bible has a great definition of love. There are several different types of love from fondness, to a family type of love, to romantic love. Each of these types of love put in our hearts the desire to treat someone the way real love manifest itself. The fullness of love can only truly be expressed by God and is described in the Bible in 1 Corinthians 13. I think I have finally found love and it was just when I had given up on it with a person.

4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 8Love never fails.

Yep no better description than the bible (: It's got answers to every question

hi, i am not even sure if i really know what love is. I think it is a feeling of safeness and caring. I know what love is when i had my daughter. it was instant love. undescribable

When I had my daughter, my faith in the power of love was restored. I do believe that true, long-lasting love is hard to find...and even harder to keep.

hellow flower 99 how are you doing. are you in love with anyone?

Hey cryingeyez,

I'm doing great...thank you for asking

Yes I am in love. My true love this time. I've felt love & I've felt true love. There is such a difference a realness & commitment...the bible description is the only way to explain it and a great guide to live it.

PM me anytime hun

I don't think there is such a thing as true love because to be true is to never lie to the one you love or fight with the one you love and I'm sure we've all done that in relationships.

For me I think I've finally fallen in love for the first time ever, I had 2 serious relationships before my current boyfriend and when I was in those relationships I didn't feel quite right or fully comfortable with them, and even when I said "I love you" to them it never seemed real enough in my heart.

But then when I found Alex (my current boyfriend of almost 6 months) and I did feel completely comfortable with him and he was the first guy I've ever really opened myself up to. Plus when I said the three words I felt a strong connection with him that I've never felt with anyone and with him there is a spark, with the other 2 guys there wasn't.

So I guess I can't really write down in words what love is, but you'll know it in your heart when you love someone because the world may see it as a wrong thing but it'll seem perfectly right to you and that's all that matters.

Love is when you cant live witout that person, when your not with em your not living, andwhen yo are with them your hearts beats faster and slower at the same time. The first thing when yu wake up the person you love will be on your mind, be the last thing on your mind befor you fall asleep. Someone that you would run a millon miles for, just to see them. When they cry you will cry with them, when they smile its the best feeling in the world.

Well hey thats just what i thing, everybody thinks diff

Love is, whatever definition you give it. It is unique to oneself.

We all feel the burning sensation when we put our hand in the fire but the feeling of love is different for everyone. Love is unique because it feels different for each of us.

For example it may give you the power to conquer anything in your way, make you happy, make you sacrifice yourself, etc...

This might sound a bit simplistic, and it lacks the great passion of some of the above sentiments, but for me love is feeling like I am home wherever and whenever I am with them. No heart palpitations (how does anyone stay functional with that on a daily and longterm basis?) but a comforted feeling, and a desire to share whatever I have with them.

And this love is basically the same recipe for everyone I love, but in different quantities. So my soon to be husband is the most 'home' feeling of anyone I know, and I will share absolutely everything with him, and give wholeheartedly in every respect.

I love this thread!

My definition of true romantic love is this: it's like a click. I saw my boyfriend and as crazy as it sounds, it honestly was love at first sight for both of us.

I saw him, and I knew without a doubt that he was MINE. Like, i was meant to love him.

It's like, I know there are probably better looking, smarter, wiser, funnier, etc. men out there, but I just didn't care, and a whole year (to the day!) later, I still just don't care.

True love is honestly believing you couldn't love or be loved any better than you already are.

I agree with caro, it's like he's home to me. He's my happy place or comfort zone or whatever.

He is just my person to love, and I'm his.

• 2 weeks later...