Do women understand the stress a man has in society to become the provider?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5ThLine,

This was an awesome article. This is the issue I deal with on a daily basis. The women that say they want I man like me say it, but don't show it. In other words I can feel they don't love me for who and what I represent as an intelluctual and spiritual man. They love the lifestyle I can offer rather than me. It's sad to meet so many women that preach they love to marry someone with my attributes and behave in such a shallow manner. Partly, I'm to blame since my hard work has created an environment that attracts them. I always figured that my hard work would bring me close to the ultimate dream we all have as humans, to fall in love with a wonderfull person and deservinly provide for that special person that will love you no matter if rich or poor. I guess I might be living a fantasy. I don't know.

As someone who is the main breadwinner where we are struggling financially, I feel the pressure. About 2-3 years ago, I was facing the prospect of being made redundant and losing the family home.

I've taken some steps to secure our home but the future is by now means guaranteed.

I think men have a lot of weight on their shoulders. What makes it worse is society tells them to "take it like a man" and not complain about it.

Mens physical and mental health can suffer from all of this. I think is one of the main reasons there is a high incidence of heart disease in men, and that they generally have a shorter life expectacny than women. Although some research suggests that the life-expectancy is leveling-out.

I think it's important to realize that men can be stressed out if they are relied upon financially, especially if they are the sole worker/provider. Having a baby/family can be scary for a man because it puts more pressure on him to "provide".

I personally live in a household where both of us work full-time, and I would never imagine having it any other way. Each couple has to do what's best for them.

BellaDonna

Mens physical and mental health can suffer from all of this. I think is one of the main reasons there is a high incidence of heart disease in men, and that they generally have a shorter life expectacny than women. Although some research suggests that the life-expectancy is leveling-out.

Heart disease is the leading killer of women, but its often ignored by doctor's because of the idea that women don't experience the same stress problems.

Heart disease is the leading killer of women, but its often ignored by doctor's because of the idea that women don't experience the same stress problems.

That is true, and yet women still tend to worry more about breast cancer than they do about heart disease....which is a whole other issue.

However I think many women tend to be more pro-active about their health, whereas many men tend to be less likely to ask for help when they need it.

I have to force my husband to go to his doctor appointments. If they try to book an appointment for him during his work hours, he's even more reluctant. It's as if being a "provider" is prioritized over his health.

Women do this sort of thing all the time too (put themselves last)- especially if they are moms- they may put their own well-being on hold in order to care for their kids.

I think both sexes definitely have some stress- and for different reasons. But if they can work together and help one another out, everything becomes much less stressful.

BellaDonna