The guy I was dating broke up with me because he said that he had some issues and open wounds that he could not close. He said that friends is the most we can be at this time. And he said that it doesn't mean it is over. But my thing is he still calls, ask me if i still love him, and am i mad at him for breaking up with me. Then he calls all the time. And we just broke up this wednesday. He called me 11 times today talking like normal, asking me why haven't i called.

what makes men come back?

As I said..overcompensation of guilt. Perhaps he is up to no good..and his conscience is bothering him..so he keeps asking for reassurance from you

that you still don;t hate him for breaking up with you.

Example: My dad cheated on my mother ...and she always knew it because he would give her roses.....because he felt guilty.

Men are strange. In my experience, regardless of the situation or role, i.e whether he was the one who was dumped or he was the dumper, men have a tendency to come back, some come back like annual flus, while others come back more frequently like monthly cramps. Yeah, I don't get that whole wacky Y chromosome containing thing called man.

It sounds to me like he want's to be single and do his own thing, but he want's to make sure you don't go to far in case he want's to come back.

In a case like this the solution is simple.Don't answer his call's and act as if he is the last thing on your mind.It's ok to talk to him but make every contact on your schedule and your term's.That way you take the power away from him and you have totall control.If he doesnt bite and you lose him,big deal then you know you never had anything anyway.