Suicide Attempts?

I don't understand how so many people have had multiple 'suicide attempts' but never managed to kill themselves? Are they really honest attempts, or instead cries for help? Or is the human body hardier than most people anticipate?

Just curious to know the reasons behind this.

There are such things as failed suicide attempts.. i've had a couple of them and no they aren't always a cry for help I really at the times wanted to die and one of the times just so happened my mother got off work earlier then expected and found me passed out and got me to the hospital in time and the other times just didn't work at all and til this day noone in my personal life knows about them, the person who THREATENS suicide time and time again is crying out for help until I attempted noone ever kknew I was depressed or was contemplating suicide. It just wasnt my time to die and I realized that and gave up which i'm very thankful for now.

It's more than either/or. People are amazingly complex, and the urge to leave can have multiple causes. It's not like deciding between sodas.

Some people are so driven to die nothing will stop them, others lose a fear of risk and take chances, some are struggling between fear and desire, and others want someone to do it for them, such as suicide by cop.

Methods also hinge on luck, hardiness and effort.

The folks I lost were all in different situations.

Like most things in life, it's not simple.

There are such things as failed suicide attempts.. i've had a couple of them and no they aren't always a cry for help I really at the times wanted to die and one of the times just so happened my mother got off work earlier then expected and found me passed out and got me to the hospital in time and the other times just didn't work at all and til this day noone in my personal life knows about them, the person who THREATENS suicide time and time again is crying out for help until I attempted noone ever kknew I was depressed or was contemplating suicide. It just wasnt my time to die and I realized that and gave up which i'm very thankful for now.

Most suicidal thoughts can be eliminated by accepting: You deserve to be *, but to expect * is very foolish.

* can be understood, loved, respected, cared for...

Once you know which of * don't work out, make changes until at least critical expectations work out to your satisfaction and drop unmeetable expectations.

my mom had many attempts before she was successful... i just received an audio tape of one of her attempts, a recording where she talked about how she would listen to it after she was dead... i dont think we know exactly whats happening to us when we are so close to death... or when we want to be dead so badly that it consumes you... yes, its a cry for help but not nesessaraly from those whom we love... there is help..

In my opinion...Some people don't want to die, some people want to escape, even if it is for a little while. Some to it to tell the world "Look at me I can't take anymore, please help me I'm dying. Some however, want very much to die, but either hopefully a small glimpse of reality or 'fate' comes and takes it out of their hands.

I agree with nottogreen in as to say that most suicidal thoughts can be overcome by accepting, but I think that 'acceptance' has more to do with accepting what has happened HAS happened. But before we can do any of that, we need to stick around and face the problem that put us there in the first place.

bethany makes some great points... some people dont want to die... some people "attempt" suicide and are successful when they were really just asking for help... some people have mixed drugs and alchol into their depression and cant clearly think, so suicide sounds like an only option... when you are at the end of the line it really is hard to accept that life can get better and will, its a deep pit to climb out of and is very hard to ask for help... i think thats when people will try to kill themselves in an attempt at living...

I don't remember if I learned this in forensics or psychology but there are more suicide attempts with females than males. The difference is statistically males are prone to more successful methods than females are. Learning that leads me to believe that a suicide attempt isn't just a cry for help, it's an attempt at taking one's own life. It's very real and very serious. It can also be the case where someone repeatedly tries to take their own life until they are successful.