a question for the poet: what influences your writings?

KillTheSilence

so yeah. a lot of mine comes from learning from past experiences and deep thinking. another lot of mine comes from the music i listen to, especially Linkin Park. a part from one of their songs influenced my latest poem (of rain and reality). it came from "a place for my head":

"I watch how the

Moon sits in the sky / in the dark night

Shining with the light from the sun

when the sun doesn't give / light to the moon assuming

The moon's going to owe it one

It makes me think of how you act to me / You do

Favors and then rapidly / just

Turn around and start asking me / about

Things you want back from me

I'm sick of the tension / sick of the hunger

Sick of you acting like I owe you this

Find another place / to feed your greed

While I find a place to rest"

(lyrics copied from link removed)

really gave some insight on how you can relate nature to life. good song too

so what influences you?

The best way to learn ot write poetry is to read poetry. Music is a good influence, but by reading other poets you will soon learn they do exceed the capabilities of all lyricists. I have my favorite song writers, and i have my favorite poets, and there is an exceptional difference to the writing abilities of both.

So try putting the pop music away and go out and explore many of the blessed poets you can easily find in the book store. You will begin to learn what it is you like and dont like about other peoples poetry. Their are some masters who will blow you away unlike any song, and some who can depict a similar experience you may be in the midst of and think they are walking in your shoes.

And of course there are the others, where at first you may find you have not a clue to what they are writing about, and with spending time with these writers you learn to really stretch your brain power to try and get an idea of what the writer is talking about. ANd how it may or may not identify with your life.

Reading is is an absolute necessity whether you want to be a lyrisicst or a writer.

If you want to be more of a poet, stick to poetry, if you prefer being mre of a lyricist you can still learn from the great poets, as well as other lyricist.

There is a difference between writing a song and writing a poem. One may not be able to do what the other does.

good luck.

KTS,

I must have been in advice mode, sorry.

I am influenced by many things, but i never pay particular attention to it.Outside of other poems and word forms.

I am influenced heavily by peoples abilities with using words. Whether it is music or other poets i choose to read. Some people just have a gift for stringing words together and conveying an image, a message, a entirely different way of looking at the mundane realities of life.