Depressed but not sure why

For some reason, for the last few days I have been feeling very depressed. The thing is though, I have no idea why. I just got back from a 1 month vacation in europe, and it seems that since I stepped off the plane, I've been anxious and depressed and not really knowing how to deal with it. I don't know what's causing these emotions. I feel like I have hit a speed bump in my life right now. Nothing in my life has drastically changed, but I seem to be unhappy with myself and how my life is going.

I just turned seventeen, and for some reason, I am freaking out at the idea of getting older and no longer being a kid. Its as though I'm going through a midlife at 17! I feel as if I didn't live my childhood up to the fullest. I feel as though I'm missing out on something.

I believe that while I was in Europe, I began to realize how big the world is and how many oppurtunities there are out there. When I came back to my small midwest America town, I began to feel as if I'm limiting my life and limiting my oppurtunities in every aspect. Even the thought of seeing my bf later today is a disappointment to me.

Yesterday I had lunch with my best friend, and usually I totally enjoy hanging out with her, but she just made me see how small of a world I grew up in. She told me about her bf and his friends and stupid stuff they did, and I just thought the entire time... "my God, this is so pointless."

I don't know if it's just culture shock, or PMS, or jet lag, or even boredom. Maybe it all of the above. I am just having the hardest time adjusting back into my previous lifestyle before jetting off to Europe. Should I be truly worried or is this going to blow over in a week or so? Has anyone else here ever experience this? Is it normal? How can I deal with it when it gets especially depressing for me... like when I step outside and its not the wonderful Aegean Sea that I see, but a cornfield.

It will pass. You hit the nail on the head when you said the world suddenly got a whole lot bigger for you, it's not just your little life in a little town, the opportunities are endess. It could also have been triggered by the fact that the wonderfull holiday came to and end and now you have to get back to normal. It can be very depressing. But think of it in this way: from your small life in a small town you can grow and become something bigger, but to become something bigger, you have to pay attention to the smaller things, like your friends and your studdies.

Do't worry about it. Try to get through it by thinking positive thoughts, it happens to me all the time, I get depressed for no reason, or I get depressed when something is brewing in my life. Sometimes it lasts for days and sometimes much much longer. But in the end I always get through it and the sun shines again in my life.

Yup. nodding.

Normal. This used to happen to me when I would go on trips and come back home. I'd be happy to see everyone again, but also sad. You've been exposed to new ways of thinking, your world has broadened, and it takes some adjustment time.

A few tips to help: Don't allow yourself to fall back into a rut or to follow your same old routine.

USE the new insights and experiences you have gained to reach further and continue to broaden your world.

Work towards something.

Often this sense comes from schisms in how you are while at home and while you are while away. You may have let yourself express parts of yourself while away that you keep tucked away or restrained at home.

You can learn a lot about yourself, make the necessary changes in your life.

Eventually, it gets so a trip is no different than being at home. Each is a choice and what we want, y'know?

You are lucky! 17 and got to go to Europe. Very priveledged. Do something with it.

Feel better soon, darling.

Hi Summerlove,

You got microdepression.

You miss something, want something, only you know.

What is depression? Depression is a mental pain caused by an imbalance between expectations and ability. To make the pain go away, one has to improve ones ability (do better) and/or change ones expectations. In other words, to avoid depression, one ought to balance ability and expectations. Balance is it, as so often in life. From: Wicked

Keeping this in mind, please post your unmet expectations and we see how we can resolve the imbalance.

For example, if you miss the hotel, think about how you can get back there on day.

Take charge of your future and balance yourself.