Believe it or not, CynicalGuitarist...I have read this article before and forwarded it to everyone I knew! I'm a big, big Vonnegut fan. And for a while there, I was about as pessimistic towards the world as he is. In some ways, I still am. But that doesn't mean I'm going to succomb and let the jerks take over without a fight! And considering Vonnegut is past 80 and still writing for one of the most progressive websites - link removed - I like to think he hasn't completely given up either.

You can check out some more of his essays there if you do a search on his name.

We watched a couple of his short films and read a couple of his stories in English. I thought they were pretty good. Some definitely are far from reality but good.

^ I replied that before actually reading the article.

I think that everything he said was the truth and he told it straightforward and I praise him for that. Precise and to the point.

Vonnegut decsribed love as the feeling he had while wrestling with his black Lab. I've agreed with that for decades. He also clearly defined the word, "twerp." Wish I could pass that on here, but the mods would be unamused.

Cat's Cradle, Player Piano or Slaughterhouse Five would be a start.

I loved Galapagos, Breakfast of Champions, Bluebeard...it's all good.

I was rained into a tent on a trip and spent the day describing Bluebeard to my ex from memory. She loved it.

i'd like to read his new book A Man Without a Country, a collection of articles like this one.

Me, too. You can read many of his essays at link removed if you do a search on his name.

I would say that "Slaughterhouse 5" is the one book of his I couldn't get through. It was too depressing, even for me. I've read Cat's Cradle, Jailbird, God Bless You Mr. Rosewater, Hocus Pocus, and Breakfast of Champions.

What's this article supposed to be about? I noticed a few errors, like where the numbers originated. And comparing Bagdhad to Native Americans..... I've been there and have seen what has been done. Pretty far fetched. What gets me is the irony of it all. Americans critique their own country more than any other on earth. Yet they still live here? The only problem with the Constitution is that is gives the same amount of freedom to the people who want to destroy it, as it does to those who defend it.

The only problem with the Constitution is that is gives the same amount of freedom to the people who want to destroy it, as it does to those who defend it.

That's why it's worked so well, and hasn't been destroyed. It's never been a tool for the ruling class to hold sway.

An example would be the civil rights movement. As a kid, I heard plenty of griping by angry whites, but those who believed in equality used the constitution to overthrow the traditional values of the day. Based on that, the document allowed freedom to change. Just old history to some, but it was something to see.

the right for people like Vonnegut and myself to openly criticize whatever we do not like is one of the things i love most about my screwed-up country. it is also a major factor in my son ultimately winning my blessing in his desire to join the Army, even at a time when i believe that the central government is in the hands of idiots, villians and thieves.