Should I forgive and forget? I desperately need guidance...

Mel27

Hi everyone,

I started seeing a guy exactly 6 months ago. However, just 2 days ago he admitted that six weeks into our relationship he had a one night stand. I had suspected this for a while but he always denied it. He said it didn't mean anything and at that stage he was unsure of having such a full-on relationship with me. However, since then, he has developed a committed relationship with me and this is why he had lied to me about it - because he didn't want to lose me.

Needless to say, I am very hurt and my self esteem has taken a dive. However, I love him and would very much like to believe it would never happen again (given that it happened early on in our relationship). Is it possible to forgive an act like this? I am 26 and he is 37 so I thought he would know better being that little bit older.

Should I stay with him and try to put this behind us? Or is it a case of "once a cheater, always a cheater"?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm really confused about what I should do.

Thanks everyone.

[/code]

I know how you feel...sort of.

I have been cheated on, but it wasn't nearly as bad as what you experienced. I am sorry to hear that happened to you.

Well sweetie...I forgave, but I am still trying to forget. I should be totally over it because he kissed someone only four days into our "dating" and it's been a little over a year.

I think it is always -ok- to forgive and forget. As long as you keep an eye on him. Make sure he is being with honest with you at all times...

If he really loves you and cares for you then he wont do it again. Don't always believe once a cheater always a cheater...it's not true!

You'll get over it eventually.

Just keep up good communication!

Hope I helped.

GOOD LUCK!

I think that you should forgive but not forget because it might have been something that you did, didn't do, or say. So if you do forget then the same thing might happen agian and the only one you have to blame is yourself." Sometimes it is good to hold onto the bad so the same thing will never happen again"