should i jump? or safely trend?

the past year, probably even more than that, i've focused apon myself and just learning on how to deal with different things. and now that i finally feel as if i have gotten a hold on things, something i haven't felt in a long time, i've started to have feelings for someone.

i am 17 years old, and a senior in highschool. this boy, is 18 going on 19 and a sophmore in college. he wants to go into the airforce, but has a backup plan on chemical engineering and is schooling for this. currently, he is in georgia training for 3 weeks.

i met him at work. i know, work and pleasure? but to be honest, im 17, my job isn't as important as a real job. and it's much easier to work around.

but my problem is, is that when he comes back from ROTC training, he will be back for about a month and a half and he will be gone to college, where this year he will not commute, and will living an hour away from here.

yes he knows i exsist, infact, before he left i gave him my address and phone number and he told me he would write me while he's gone (no letters in the mail yet... ) and he hugged me goodbye.

my question is, should i persue this knowing that he'll be living at college and i will be stuck living at home and attending regular highschool?

not to mention i have no previous experience with boys, like i said, i had other things i have been dealing with and had no time for this. i feel like i'm a little behind. for example, im not exactly sure if he thinks of us as friends or thinking maybe more than that. although thats a problem that ever person goes through and can only be solved by bluntly asking or just pursuing.

but this is the first boy that i have met that makes me go crazy and is a somewhat nice guy.

persue or to notpursue?? that is the question....

Ok well no of course, you see the problem is this. Life is too short to wait, so you should NEVER wait. For all you know he'd go in the airforce, and never come back or find another girl or change his mind and go with some guy =\ , well aside all the rediculous nightmare scenario's , its best to date other guys while he is away, at least you'll get dating experience meanwhile while he is gone, if he comes back you can always break up in a proper way and date him again, or find the real one while he is gone, in any case don't put your life on a halt for him ok?