Phobia of vomiting in public

You can laugh about this if you want to. I don't care. Sometimes I laugh about it myself. It is so weird. Even to this day I can't believe it...

Anyway, I have this fear of throwing up in public places. The irony of it is that I haven't vomited since my senior year of highschool(and that was at home).

Whenever I go out I make sure I don't eat anything(heavy) so as to ease the fear of vomiting. When I become comfortable in a public setting I do eat, and it isn't an issue anymore(like at parties or restauraunts)...

The fear becomes more pervasive when I goto the gym... I feel there is more of a possibility of throwing up if I over exert myself. So I try and eat very light meals so that I won't feel full or anything...But when I stop to catch my breath, after running on the treadmill, I suddenly tense up and think, "Oh my god I might start throwing up..." But I never do.

I think it comes from this one incident in the 4th grade. Growing up I was really shy and I didn't like people looking at me...One particular day I felt really sick and asked the teacher could I go to the nurse. She sent me to the nurse, and the nurse said I didn't have a fever. So I had to go back to class. Long story short I started vomiting in class...The really big orange chunky kind! Needless to say, I was sent home(and later came down with the flu) royally embarressed...and I think that is where my fear of throwing up in public comes from...

Sometimes I laugh about it, but it is a legit fear that I have. So how can you overcome a nagging fear like this?

Oh my!

I totally know where you are coming from. I thought I was the only one. LOL That is where much my agoraphobia came from, fear of being sick and having a panic attack in public. Like you, I have never been sick in public before. I have no idea where the fear came from but it had lead me to have panic attacks in the past. It was so bad it to the point where I would carry plastic bags in my pockets or purse "just in case."

I tend to take deep breaths when that happens and refocus. It has not been bad in a long time.

well the fact that it hasn't happened for a long while is fine...i would suppose that something like this isn't such a big deal as long as you still eat and such. it is smart not to eat a whole lot before working out and such but sometimes vomitting just happens....i've been there an it is really nothing the be embarrassed about because everyone does it. i remember when i did in front of people, it was my first cross country race freshmen year at school, i had just finished my race and it was just really hot outside and i was dehydrated and i just threw up in front of all the guys. most of them just said eww but a few of them came over to make sure i was ok and brought me some water and food.

i imagine that in 4th grade a bunch of children are relentless because they aren't mature at all, but as you get older people are going to make sure you are okay, they won't make fun of you.

Oh my!

I totally know where you are coming from. I thought I was the only one. LOL That is where much my agoraphobia came from, fear of being sick and having a panic attack in public. Like you, I have never been sick in public before. I have no idea where the fear came from but it had lead me to have panic attacks in the past. It was so bad it to the point where I would carry plastic bags in my pockets or purse "just in case."

I tend to take deep breaths when that happens and refocus. It has not been bad in a long time.

That is so true! Whenever I goto the gym I take large towels moreso for vomit than actual sweat LOL.

I've never had any full blown panic attacks...But this nagging little thing bothers me.

I know that people aren't waiting to ridicule you when you vomit in public, but just the fact that I am vomiting in public makes me feel so vulnerable and weird...

"public makes me feel so vulnerable and weird..."

I think that is why it was hard for me. Panic attacks IMO show a person's vulnerability to the max. It is not really a safe feeling at all.

But like I mentioned before, I take really deep breaths and try to focus. I am usually okay after that.

Hi FoxLocke. What you describe is not that uncommon:

link removed

link removed

link removed

link removed

link removed

link removed

It does fall under the realm of an anxiety disorder and/or OCD depending on your particular symptoms and what you do behaviorally to compensate for your fears. I guess you have to ask yourself how much it affects the quality of your life, and if it's worth doing something about it.

BellaDonna

For awhile, I did behaviorally compensate for it. I sat next to doors, sat in the aisle seats, made a mental escape route to the bathroom if I was in a restaurant, carried plastic bags in my pocket. I have left class early because of it, had to take my mom places with me, I have left the gym, the mall. It got really dehabilitating for me. I was prescribed Xanax but hated taking them, they do not really help at all.

Every so often, I become agoraphobic but not as bad as before. I have learned how to channel it and refocus. It was not easy to get to that point, it took a great deal of self-talk to get there.

Thanks BellDonna...atleast there is name for it.

Ironically, it isn't affecting my quality of life badly. It does interfere with daily activities and etc...

Now that I think about it, when I was in the gym a few years ago(my first time)I started dry heaving and this woman was looking at me, wondering if I was going to be okay...The humiliation is when you feel vulnerable to people's ridicule.

I thought about prescription meds...However, that is like having stitches for a minor paper cut.

Every so often, I become agoraphobic but not as bad as before. I have learned how to channel it and refocus. It was not easy to get to that point, it took a great deal of self-talk to get there.

I do this alot too, Kellbell. I tell myself that there is nothing to be afraid of because nothing is going to happen.

I deal with it because I know it is an irrational fear that I have...So, in that regard, it doesn't keep me from doing anything. Like I can go to the mall, my classes, and various other venues and not even think about it.

However, the moment my stomach gets a little uneasy in a public situation I panic. I have to tell myself to just calm down and breath, which often works.

I have no problem eating in public, sitting in waiting rooms, going to work and etc...And someone else throwing up doesn't bother me. I just have an anxiety thing when it comes to being THE CENTER OF ATTENTION.

And throwing up really does attract attention...

this sounds really bothersome for you, and i can only imagine what it's like to carry that around every day. but really, what's the worst that can happen? you barf on your shoes and somebody laughs, so what? they are only exposing their lack of class by being unsympathetic. you can go home and clean up, but they're stuck with being bungholes forever. and that's IF somebody laughs, which might not happen even if you DO vomit in public, which is probably never going to happen anyway.

and can you imagine what karma may have in store for someone who does laugh??? ewwww!!!

SB,

That is what I have to tell myself when my fears and anxieties run away from me. But sometimes, it is a lost cause to try to put logic into, I have had panic attacks for half my life as it also runs strongly in my family. But over the years, I have learned how to conquer my fears and anxieties, but on some occasions, it can get quite taxing mentally and emotionally.

i know, kellbell. i've been the victim of a few irrational fears myself over the years. i didn't mean to make it sound simple.

but sometimes a good thought will elbow its way into the process, especially if we remind ourselves over and over that things are gonna be ok, so i figured i'd throw that out there for Fox just in case.

Thanks SB!

But as Belldonna has stated, my big trigger is the gym, or places that are extremely crowded(and there is the potential for me to be the center of attention)...A few years back i had two close calls of vomiting in the gym.

1.) I first started the gym and over exerted myself. Long story short I started dry heaving(nothing came out, just air) in front of this old lady. She was really sweet about it, but it was so humiliating.

2.) The second time I worked out with my personal trainer and I ended up feeling really queasy. He just told me to splash my face with water, and that quelled the symptoms. But it was just the thought of throwing up infront of everyone that made me nervous.

Somedays In the gym I will do my work out completely on the first floor, just so I can make sure to leave if I have to vomit...Lately, I have forced myself to stay and just calm down(which is an improvement).

I always get the idea in my head that, "Oh my god, I am going to throw up and people will think I'm repulsive..."

Granted, it doesn't run my life...I don't have any eating disorders, nor do I take antacids or Pepto B to stop it from happening...

I don't mind vomiting(natural bodily function)I just get so nervous that I'll do it in public.

My common sense tells me if I spew I just spew and after it's over no one will care...But I just hate the thought of people seeing me puke.

But the onething I do not allow to happen is to let it run my life. I am forcing myself to stay in situations where I think I might throw up, and when I'm in them long enough I realize I had nothing to fear in the first place.

I'm not pretending to be a shrink or anything, but the best best way of ending phobias is facing them. Though you can't vomit in public, try eating with small steps? Start by snacking, and work your way up.

And though this may not help, I vomited in class once when I was 14, all over my teacher's books. People forgot about it in days. Watching someone vomit isn't beautiful, but people feel more sympathectic than disgusted.