the first meeting in person.....

some of you might have read my previous posts about a lady i have been in contact with for over a year via the internet.

and in the past 4/5 months the genral chit chat has evolved in to more.

feelins have come to the surface etc etc....

anyway on the 6th of june i fly out to america to spend 2 weeks with her.

we chat every day on the phone or on web cam with mics.

but this is the first actual moment of been in each others company.

this is totaly alien to me. all my previous relationships i have known with in hours of meeting a person that there is more there to explore, this is the first woman i have met where the feelings developed over time as i learnt more.

its also the first time i have ever traveld to the other side of the world to meet some one. its also the first time i have ever been to the USA.

there is so many firsts and i think im nervous excited.. im full of different emotions.. its strange as i dont lack in confidence im out going and very rarely suffer from nerves. i love new challenges and experinces but this situation is strange. makes me feel strange.. its like there are so many IF's and buts and maybes....

i used to be a heavy smoker until 2 weeks ago. i gave up as she doesnt smoke and if when i was over seeing her something was to happen i didnt want to spoil a moment by me smelling of smoke.

i suppose i want to hear from people who have been through what im about to do and hear how it was for them...

we get on so well we have spent up to 8 hours some nights talking.

we have also had long silences online with cams and they were comfatable silences..

all the things are there. but we have never hugged touched kissed had the pleasure of smelling the other persons hair. all the things we take for granted when you meet a new partner.

any one here fancy telling me how their first meeting went?

when you first walked accross the airport towards them what was going through your mind? what was your first words? what was your first physical contact like?

Well, I'm the first to say that Internet relationships are tricky, because the build-up, the distance, etc. can create an illusion of heightened feelings and romance. That being said...they seem to heighten feelings and romance, lol!

About seven years ago (gee, can't believe it's been that long) some guy started emailing me. It was kind of weird how it happened; I used to own a Jeep and had an email address with a reference to that. He owned a company up in the Sierra mountains outside Lake Tahoe that took people on off-road Jeep drives. I forget how he got my email address, but somehow the two were related, and we struck up a correspondence. After a while, we started talking on the phone, and a little "Internet romance" developed. Long story short, he bought me a plane ticket to come out and see him. Mind you, this was seven years ago, when meeting someone off the Internet wasn't as common as it is today, and all my friends thought I was making a big mistake.

Well, I flew out there, and I was so excited on the plane ride. To see him, and also to see California for the first time. That's the thing about Internet relationships...most of us wouldn't find the money or time to travel to far away places just for the sake of doing so, but meeting someone online can really inspire us to travel, spend more money on phone bills than we normally would, diet for a straight month in anticipation of meeting them, lol, etc.

Anyway, when I got off the plane, there he was, and we were both really happy to see each other. I proceeded to have one of the best vacations of my life. It was a very whirlwind type of romance...we went to Reno to catch a Chris Isaak concert, went Jeeping, hung out in Lake Tahoe. It was a blast, and I postponed my plane reservation twice, lol. Basically a weekend long trip turned into two weeks.

But...we never saw each other again afterwards. We talked on the phone a few times, but turned out he was a bit of a party boy and womanizer, so his intentions were never for anything long-term. I was crushed for a little bit, but I never regret my trip. It was one of the best times of my life, and there was definitely an element of fantasy and romance that I hadn't previously experienced. I think the build-up and mystery of not meeting him for a long time beforehand really contributed to that.

thanks for that.. off topic for a second... i see your from colorado..

thats where im heading.... could you recomend a rather romantic place to eat? i want to organise something myself and surprise her..

going to be around denver area...

as for your expereince..

i understand what you mean about the feelings that we can develop prior to meeting some one. we have no pretenses about this. we know we get on and in the worst case situation we are going to gain a new best friend..

but the meeting is to see if these so called feelings can develop any further..

as we have exhausted all means of exploration with what we have at the moment..

Well, I'm a vegetarian, so I don't go to many restaurants around here. However, there are a couple of places I can recommend for atmosphere that I've been to myself.

Le Central - a cozy French restaurant, dimly lit, very authentic. A local favorite; I've been there myself. It's where I met my boyfriend's family for the first time, and it's really a charming place. link removed

The Hotel Teatro - one of the most elegant hotels in Denver, and they have two restaurants with a great deal of atmosphere. I believe the first restaurant I visited when I moved to Denver. It's right downtown. link removed Their restaurants are run by Kevin Taylor, an acclaimed celebrity chef in these parts. This restaurant is right next door to the Performing Arts center, and you might even want to get tickets to a show. They have lots of national Broadway shows that come through Denver.

Now, another suggestion I could make for YOU to get some "Colorado flavor" to your visit, is to take a lovely drive to Morrison. This little town is in the foothills, just a short drive from Denver. It's also where the famed "Red Rocks" amphitheater is. There are several cute little restaurants and shops in Morrison. You can even take a drive from Morrison to Evergreen, and the drive is breathtaking. It winds through a soaring canyon, with a river on one side.

Hi there Chuck!

I too, am in a LDR with a guy whom lives in Denver! Of course, we met on the internet and became quite close chatting on Yahoo and talking the phone for hours! We met in person in Feb. 2006 and have been a couple since.

Meeting in person is definitely the ultimate test. When I flew out to Denver for the first time to meet him, I tried my darnest NOT to have any expectations, except for that he looked like the pictures he sent me. LOL Other than that, I went there with a very open mind to anything. So, in my experience, one must really be ready for anything and mentally prepare. But when I first laid eyes on him and hugged him, there was a connection, the attraction is definitely there. This meeting with your friend CAN work.

Okay, a few places my boyfriend and I went to in Denver...the Elephant Bar. link removed

This place has a safari genre to it.

Also, we really enjoy the Cheesecake Factory. There are two locations that I know of in the Denver Metro area...the one at the Park Meadows Mall and at the 16th Street Mall. I have been to both. They have a zillion kinds of cheesecake to choose from as well as a menu tailored to all palates.

link removed

I wish you all the best. I really do. Colorado is a beauitful state. The rockies are absolutely breath-taking. I am planning on moving there in the summer. Keep us updated.

Oddly enough Chuck, I was talking to my boyfriend today about how we felt about each other when we first met each other.

We were friends at the time because he was in a relationship that was over (it's complicated) and it was hard to determine if we would work as couple. But he was vacationing in my city for a few days and we decided to meet up. We met at a local Borders near my apartment in the magazine section and I was sooooo nervous. We really liked each other a lot and were attracted to each other, but it was scary thinking we were finally going to meet face to face.

I think he either said my name or he tapped me on the shoulder (I was reading a magazine) and I turned around and saw him. My first impression was "Oh my god it's him!" I stood up and was a little surprised he was just a few inches taller than me (shhh, don't tell him I said that). I don't know why I thought he was going to be much taller than me. He gave me a hug and a kiss on the cheek which surprised me. I remember smelling his cologne when we hugged and thought "Mmmm, he smells good." It was sooo nice to touch and hug him.

We hung out in the city and he was a little flirty even though we were just friends. I remember at some point we were walking through a park and he stopped, turned around and hugged me. It caught me off guard because we were just walking and then boom,, he hugged me. He said something to met while we were hugging, but I can't remember. Then we kind of walked holding hands for a few seconds and then I think we both thought "Oh, we shouldn't be holding hands." He was still married (again complicated).

Anyway ... we had fun. I was too scared to tell him in person I was attracted to him. I confessed it to him when he returned home and also mentioned I wanted to kiss him so bad when he dropped me off at my apartment that day. He now says he wish I had kissed him. He didn't know I was attracted to him at the time, but he was attracted to me.

He later returned to visit specifically to be with me which was nice. We decided to see what would happen between us romantically and it was great. We we both looking forward to kissing and hugging each other, though we did a little more than that!

All in all it was good experience. I was glad though we were able to meet and just be around each other without feeling like we had to BE together. I think that's important.

If possible, when you visit this girl, try and just get to know each other as people. Just hang out, talk, and explore the city she lives in. Then if you feel there's a mutual attraction, explore it.

Scary as it is meeting someone who you have a strong attraction with, it's also very exciting!

Hope all goes well!

If possible, when you visit this girl, try and just get to know each other as people. Just hang out, talk, and explore the city she lives in. Then if you feel there's a mutual attraction, explore it.

Scary as it is meeting someone who you have a strong attraction with, it's also very exciting!

Hope all goes well!

that was an awesome story. i really enjoyed reading it.

whats so bizarre about the situation we are in is we have experienced all the things you do getting to know some one except the touching and the smells.

we chat on web cam with mics most the time to keep the cost down as our phone bills have been rather high these past few months..

thinking about it i was the reason she bought a web cam and a microphone. and that was over a year ago. we have spent so much time talking via this method i know all her faces depending on her mood and what she is thinking. i have seen her cry, angry, sad, happy thinking faces and can spot them instantly.

its only a few days now till i fly out and im for the first time in my life feeling nervous about something.

that was an awesome story. i really enjoyed reading it.

whats so bizarre about the situation we are in is we have experienced all the things you do getting to know some one except the touching and the smells.

we chat on web cam with mics most the time to keep the cost down as our phone bills have been rather high these past few months..

thinking about it i was the reason she bought a web cam and a microphone. and that was over a year ago. we have spent so much time talking via this method i know all her faces depending on her mood and what she is thinking. i have seen her cry, angry, sad, happy thinking faces and can spot them instantly.

its only a few days now till i fly out and im for the first time in my life feeling nervous about something.

It's weird though knowing someone well and getting along with them, but not being able to physically show affection. It's so nice to finally be able to hug and touch each other and smell them. I swear everytime I smell his cologne if I'm out and about doing errands in the city, I always think of him. I'll never be able to associate that smell with anyone except him.

That's great you both talk on webcam and you know her expressions and such. I don't have that advantage! It's good you can tell what her moods are ... just like if you were in person.

You'll have to let us know how it goes! I'm excited for you

"You'll have to let us know how it goes! I'm excited for you"

Me too! definitely let us know.

I know exactly how you feel. My BF and I would chat on the net for hours. We got to know each other so well that the way we responded to each other while chatting something was on our mind. And when we talked on the phone, we just knew. I remember wanting so bad to hold him, hug him, smell his scent, so bad it hurt sometimes. So it was awesome when we were able to do that. You can see a pitcure of us on our profile.

I am definitely rooting for you guys! Have a wonderful time in Colorado.

It can work

It doesn't matter if it Long distance or not, there is always this "online-reality" transition that is the ultimate test. I've met lots of girls over the net and the onese I was disappointed with were the ones who had no photos, no phone calls, just YM or MSN for a few weeks. The most sucessfull meetings involved girls who i chatted to on MSN spoke to on the phone, and used webcam with. When you allow feelings to develop NATUALY then things will be great. If you allow yourself to build ASSUMPTIONS then things may not be good.

I think you'll be ok ! Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

well..

im here and we have met up and its better than we thought it could ever be.

the first meeting was bizarre kind of feeling. but i think that was due to me traveling for over 28 hours with hardly any sleep.

the next day when we was rested and aware that i was finally here went so much better.

we are house sitting one of her best mates places as they are on there honey moon.

so we have gone from just talking online and on the phone to living in each others pockets and its amazing. just writing a quick update will write more when i get chance and im home..