Questions about fasting

I was recently told that fasting is a very good way of clensing your mind body and soul of food, so in other words a sense of want from the world.

It supposed to help you think clearer, and get a better understanding of things.

I'm curious if anyone has tried fasting. And if they have if they would share whether they liked it, if it helped, and some rips for doing so.

thanks,

some_unknown

I've fasted before. I can't say it helped to clear anything, except i got really really hungry, and when i went off the fast i pigged out like crazy. Which is REALLY bad for your body. The other thing is, you have to consider, what is going on in your life. Cuz if u fast, u are gonna have LOW energy, and I'm a teacher, so I can't be fasting cuz I need all the energy I can get. So yea, I don't think its worth it. There are other things u can do, meditation and exercise is a much better alternative.

I think there are other, more healthy ways to gain an understanding of the world than starving yourself.

Unless you are doing it strictly for clearly outlined religious reasons, which I would respect, I do not think fasting is a good idea.

There are really others way to think clearly and gain insight on a situation without having to go to such lengths.

To me fasting seems like a complex and unecessary solution to a relatively simple problem.

BellaDonna

Fasting is actually very hard on the body. It causes a huge spike in insulin and the next time you eat your body will gain a bunch of weight and hang onto it for some time.

I have yet to see any proof that fasting provides any of the benefits or 'cleanses' that people say. All it does it make your body go into starvation mode. Not good.

As a former hardened anorexic, I fasted a lot.

Here's what it did to me:

Made me feel sick

Made me feel shakey

Made me want to binge on unhealthy food when my blood sugar got too low

Made my vision go blurry

Up to 60 hours I can do, except I don't do it anymore. It's a rather silly idea and only useful as a preparation for a necessary medical test or the like.

Get reading about Buddhism or Communism etc to get you really thinking about wanting stuff in the world.

Here's a good article about the benefits of fasting for the body: link removed

Here's an excerpt: "it seems that there are many reasons to consider fasting as a benefit to one's health. The body rids itself of the toxins that have built up in our fat stores throughout the years. The body heals itself, repairs all the damaged organs during a fast. And finally there is good evidence to show that regulated fasting contributes to longer life. However, many doctors warn against fasting for extended periods of time without supervision. There are still many doctors today who deny all of these points and claim that fasting is detrimental to one's health and have evidence to back their statements. The idea of depriving a body of what society has come to view as so essential to our survival in order to heal continues to be a topic of controversy."

I believe that fasting benefits both the body and the spirit. But only if it is done the right way. Fasting for an entire day or more is detrimental to ones physical health, and can lead to problems. I believe that fasting from dawn till dusk is good, as is the Islamic way. I've fasted before, and it really helps me connect with my spiritual side. I become more conscious of my actions and also I become a better person. Here is a good quote from the prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) about fasting:

Sahih Bukhari Volume 3, Book 31, Number 118

Narrated by Abu Huraira:

Allah's Apostle said, "Fasting is a shield (or a screen or a shelter). So, the person observing fasting should avoid sexual relation with his wife and should not behave foolishly and impudently, and if somebody fights with him or abuses him, he should tell him twice, 'I am fasting." The Prophet added, "By Him in Whose Hands my soul is, the smell coming out from the mouth of a fasting person is better in the sight of Allah than the smell of musk. (Allah says about the fasting person), 'He has left his food, drink and desires for My sake. The fast is for Me. So I will reward (the fasting person) for it and the reward of good deeds is multiplied ten times."

I have no idea who came up with the idea that fasting is a good way to cleanse your body and soul. I'm wondering what the physiological basis is for this?

A good way to cleanse your body of toxins would be to consume enough fiber on a daily basis. I think experts are now saying 40-50 grams of fiber a day is needed to prevent colon cancer. Fiber is the best way to clean the GI tract. It binds and carries with it toxins and takes those out of the body since humans lack the enzyme to metabolize fiber.