Started taking Whey Protein supplements and yuck

Well I've started going to the gym and trying to build up some muscle. Because of this I just started taking protein supplements (Whey Protein) today to help bulk up quicker.

Anyways the problem is I just find that it tastes really really bad. I first tried it today and mixed it in with milk (it comes in powder form for those who don't know), the protein I got was supposedly chocalate flavoured, although it sure didn't taste like chocolate. Although it was drinkable and I did finish it, it was a struggle to do so as I was a bit turned off by the taste and smell.

So anyways for those of you that take protein supplements out there did you notice this to when you first started taking them and did you find a way to make it more edible/palatable for you? If so, how?

I might try mixing it up in a blender or mixing it up with chocalate milk instead of white milk tomorrow (hopefully this will make it taste better).

Thanks for your help.

A good lo-cal/no-fat add is cocoa powder, I also like to add sugar/fat free jello puddiong powder, a drop of mint extract with a chocolate shake is yummy. I would definitely use the blender, throw in some ice with it.

I also like getting vanilla, adding some berries and you can use fruit extracts as well, like strawberry or cherry to add a good kick of flavor with no calories. You can get the extracts at pretty much any grocery store, they are in the baking aisle, along with vanilla extract. No calories, no fat, lots of flavor.

Since you are lifting weights so calories may not be such a big deal for you, in that case throw in some cookies (animal crackers, oreos, graham crackers) or peanut butter. I love a chocolate shake with lots of chocolate (jello pudding, cocoa, little splenda) with a banana (mmm peanut butter would be good too!)

I make a dreamsicle type one with ice, water, vanilla powder, vanilla pudding powder and calorie free fruit punch kool-aid powder.

This is a great way to supplement your diet b/c they are very versatile and easy. I like to make the chocolate mint and have it with a couple graham crackers, it leaves me very satisified b/c I like to have something to chew.

Good luck!

The taste of it was never that unbearable for me. I use nonfat milk. Depending on your goal, I would suggest against chocolate milk. If you are going to use choc. milk, just drink the choc. milk by itself. It has the perfect protein to carb ratio.

I've been taking EAS brand whey protein and I think it tastes great. I mix it with skim milk in a shaker bottle; it tastes like semi-sweet chocolate milk, I think.

I am currently working on a container of the vanilla flavor, but I would definitely recommend the chocolate instead.

You probably got a brand that just tastes like bunk. Try EAS.

You really have to experiment with flavours and preparations. Some are awful, others bearable, others are pretty tasty! The store I buy from actually will mix up samples for you to try in store so you don't have to spend $50 and "hope for the best"!

Mixing with milk alone or making a smoothie with banana, milk, ice, peanut butter, etc is great too.

With the right brand, I find that just mixing with non fat milk is perfect.

Keefy is right on about just plain chocolate milk for recovery though - I know a few people whom swear by it after training/racing due to the perfect ratio, I being one of them whom find it really helps me recover. However, whey protein has more protein by volume, which is what you would be looking for. Just note your body can't digest more then 20 g of protein at a time, so if you spend the extra on 40 g supplements, it's a waste of money really. You actually end up peeing it away

Im on nutri sport 90+ protein chocolate flavour. With water its fine, with milk its slightly creamer. I tried strawberry nutri sport protein and carb drink omg!!! it was the foolest thing, tasted salty and was **** at mixing.

Im also on a really nice shake, its a MRP (meal replacement powder) link removed got this in chocolate as well, its like drinking angel delight (but just not as thick, but almost).