Do guys get put off when a girl is very attractive?

From what I gather, it all depends on the guy's own self-confidence, and any ideas he has about how "on the same level" he is, looks wise. I have been told by my current BF and by other people that if he and I were in a club (which is obviously not how we met, lol) he wouldn't approach me as he'd consider me "out of his league" looks-wise.

The whole looks thing is ridiculus to me. I've always just approached whoever I feel like, what a person looks like is just a tiny part of who they are.

But I definitely think less confident guys think "oh, she wouldn't be interested in me" when seeing an attractive girl, which is a massive shame, as both parties might miss out.

I think some men get scared because they think they are competing with other men that are probably already in her life and they assume they are going to get rejected anyways. On the flipside, some guys out there are just dying to meet an beautiful girl and when they see one they go for it.

But for me, it really depends on the situation. if the situation is a social one such as a gathering/party then i am more likely to go up to her and say hello but if i see her walking down the street then i'm most likely just going to do nothing.

Unfortunately, in a typical situation, a more attractive girl, is harder to chat to, because they know they have more choice of guys. Of course the guys know this, so unless u have a lot of confidence, or a lot of alcohol, it can be very difficult to approach them.

EDIT: To answer your question above, I would probably go to the attractive one. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder anyway, and I always find there is a limit to beauty before it suddenly doesnt become beautiful but the girl just looks fake.

EDIT EDIT: On a side note, on saturday a fairly attractive girl came upto me to chat. Her opening line was "Hi, are u shy?" obviously cause i didnt go upto her, to chat her up, must of meant I was shy, not that i was simply not interested Bless her, at least she made the effort, its always great when girls make the effort.

Thanks guys another question. If there were 2 ladies sitting at the bar one was attractive and the other was very very very attractive. Would you dare to speak to the attractive one or the very very very attractive one?

The first one will get more attention than the second one. Many guys will not aim "that high", so to speak, for fear of rejection, and if there is someone who seems to be more in their "range", they will try for that option. Of course, there are some guys who will always hit on the prettiest woman in the room every time, but many will not.

You know, I watched a program on TV about this. They had an EXTREMELY beautiful model sit on a wall in front of a beach in California, wearing just a tiny pair of shorts and an even tinier pink vest, she was and looked STUNNING.

She sat there for 2 HOURS. About 40+ guys passed by, some checking her out but only ONE man approached her, and he was in his late 50's balding and on a bicycle. Weird or wot?

Unfortunately, in a typical situation, a more attractive girl, is harder to chat to, because they know they have more choice of guys. Of course the guys know this, so unless u have a lot of confidence, or a lot of alcohol, it can be very difficult to approach them.

I don't agree.

Not every attractive girl is cocky or sizing you up to her Ken doll to see if you pass the bar.

Confidence is always key, of course. I don't know why some guys are so hesitant to talk to a beautiful woman - they're still human! Just winners of the genetic lottery...

She sat there for 2 HOURS. About 40+ guys passed by, some checking her out but only ONE man approached her, and he was in his late 50's balding and on a bicycle. Weird or wot?

As a balding 50+ guy it makes perfect sense. Young guys are in a hurry, are figuring the odds of her being single, don't want to waste there time or egos, feel better about themselves in a group setting. Maybe the old guy's eyesight is just bad, or he has nothing in mind other that talking to a pretty girl. Maybe she reminds him of his granddaughter.

As someone already said, attractive girls, that are both beautiful, have a sexy or upbeat tone, and have a nice personality are GUARANTEED to already either have a boyfriend, or have enough guys in her plate, and you will be rejected either immediately or down the line anyway, or are probably approached by other guys on a daily basis. Likely hood is they have children, or are otherwise messed up in their heads somewhere else from all the attention they are getting and unless you come accross different than the other guys, then you dont feel like you have a chance, if you do, you cant help but feeling patronized (taking you on because they feel sorry for you, not because they like you).

Cool JonnyG glad things went well for you. Take it guys see it as a turn off when a girl approachs a guy first?

No no no. Didnt mean to come accross as sarcastic. I mean it, I love girls approaching. Guys like girls approaching. I did a thread asking this and every guy said they liked girls coming upto them. Im shy, and i hate making all the effort. My mojo has completely disappeared lately after a crappy start to the year with a couple of girls that I had real feelings for and things went pear shaped with both of them. On saturday (like most times im out), I was there for hours and couldnt pluck the courage to chat to this one girl who was with some other girls. Seriously so frustrating. I didnt notice any hints though from her that she may of been interested, so i sat and waited, and waited, and waited, til home time. Another chance wasted. I find it next to impossible to make an effort with a girl unless she gives us a look or two, a smile is the key and ill go straight over.

There was actually a second girl interested in me on the saturday who gave me a few looks and even grab my hand gently when I went past her once, but she was not me. Just gave her a smile and walked on. Usually I'll have a quick chat and just wish them a good night (hint that im not interested).

Suppose after saturday my mojo has gone up a bit since a few girls showed some interest, but its still at a really low level at the mo, so right now i need as many girls as possible to build the courage to chat to me.

As someone already said, attractive girls, that are both beautiful, have a sexy or upbeat tone, and have a nice personality are GUARANTEED to already either have a boyfriend, or have enough guys in her place, or are probably approached by other guys on a daily basis.

Or they're single, have never had a boyfriend and are wondering what's wrong with them because every guy that's attracted to her thinks exactly what you've just typed and decides to leave her be.

But for me, it really depends on the situation. if the situation is a social one such as a gathering/party then i am more likely to go up to her and say hello but if i see her walking down the street then i'm most likely just going to do nothing.

There is this book, called "How to Succeed With Woman" that recommends saying 'hi' to six attractive girls a day for 30 days straight to boost confidence. You will get a small ego-boost from the few girls that do say hi back or take you on, and you never know what can happen if the chemistry is really good.

I don't agree.

Not every attractive girl is cocky or sizing you up to her Ken doll to see if you pass the bar.

Confidence is always key, of course. I don't know why some guys are so hesitant to talk to a beautiful woman - they're still human! Just winners of the genetic lottery...

Well, I didnt mean to put every girl in one basket. I did say "typically", and as I always say, I find the younger girls tend to be more like this, while the older beautiful girls are easier to chat to.

i'm partial to the 'girl next door' look. i know it's bias, but a drop-dead gorgeous girl has to work harder to convince me that she isn't stuck on herself, as many are. i've only dated one 'fashion model-type' girl that didn't turn out to be affected and annoying, and that was in high school and she had recently moved to the U.S. from India.

i don't get it!! why are men so chicken.

Women ask this but they already know the answer. No one likes rejection. The real question should be "why are women so chicken?" because its the vast majority of guys that go up to girls. But im sure we'll here the good old "Its just the way things are, its tradition (where's a yawn smiley?), men should make the move". But luckily there are girls out there who do go up to guys, so 2 thumbs up to them.

i'm partial to the 'girl next door' look. i know it's bias, but a drop-dead gorgeous girl has to work harder to convince me that she isn't stuck on herself, as many are. i've only dated one 'fashion model-type' girl that didn't turn out to be affected and annoying, and that was in high school and she had recently moved to the U.S. from India.

so, that makes me wonder: do men, (or maybe just society in general), have higher expectations of more attractive women and expect them to work harder, like you do? and is that really fair? is it reasonable to assume that better looking women are stuck on themselves? i've known many-a-plain *and also* self-absorbed woman in my life, no lie.

so, that makes me wonder: do men, (or maybe just society in general), have higher expectations of more attractive women and expect them to work harder, like you do? and is that really fair? is it reasonable to assume that better looking women are stuck on themselves? i've known many-a-plain *and also* self-absorbed woman in my life, no lie.
actually, i think i have LOWER expectations of the prettiest women, which is why i need more convincing that they aren't stuck up. yes, it's true than Plain Jane can have a viciously snotty attitude; yes, the same is undoubtedly just as true of males; and no, it probably isn't fair. in fact, i remember a girl that i would describe as a "10" in both looks and personality complaining that she never got a date because the guys that she knew were intimidated by her appearance and/or had the same type of bias that i have admitted to.
actually, i think i have LOWER expectations of the prettiest women, which is why i need more convincing that they aren't stuck up. yes, it's true than Plain Jane can have a viciously snotty attitude; yes, the same is undoubtedly just as true of males; and no, it probably isn't fair. in fact, i remember a girl that i would describe as a "10" in both looks and personality complaining that she never got a date because the guys that she knew were intimidated by her appearance and/or had the same type of bias that i have admitted to.

right that's what i meant (i think--now i'm confused)..but yep that you have higher expectations of the ways she should have to treat you, etc. does she have to be extreeemely sweeeet and nicey-nicey, so that guys will be convinced that she is not stuck up? and even if she were really, really nice to you, wouldn't guys then accuse her of being either phoney, or a tease? isn't it a bit of a no-win situation for her? ok, you seem like a pretty decent guy, let's say NOT YOU, but men in general.