reading too much into it?

So there is a guy in my program that I think is attractive and he seems like a very nice and smart person. I haven't talked to him much because he's pretty shy, or at least it seems like it, and I'm usually with other friends. He doesn't talk to many people, just one or two other people in the program. I did talk to him last week on the way to class. We got off the elevator together and he asked if I was ready to review for our exam and we chatted about the class a bit.

Today I get off the elevator and he's sitting on a bench accross from it and when he sees me gets this huge smile on his face. I go over to him and our friend that's sitting with him on the bench and ask if they're ready for the exam, but then the other guy gives me a note from a classmate about buying something for his fundraiser. So after that I tried to talk to this guy again, saying stuff about how I'm worried about the exam and he doesn't even acknowledge me. I was standing right next to him and sat down on the floor next to him and nothing.

Once we were sitting in class, I was explaining a concept to two of my friends and I saw him looking at me and listening, so it's not like he was too into studying out in the hallway to know I said something.

I just don't get it! That smile was not like a polite smile, it really looked like he was happy to see me. Then again he does seem like a very nice guy so it could have been innocent. Am I reading way too much into this?

but then the other guy gives me a note from a classmate about buying something for his fundraiser.

Did he know what the note was about - or did he think the note was from a boyfriend or that the guy giving you the note was giving you his number or something of that nature?

I can't remember how the conversation went exactly, but I remember telling the other person that I didn't know how to spell the guy's name to write on a check. So I think that made it obvious that it wasn't about anything to be concerned about if he was interested. Also the guy that gave me the note is older and married, so he wouldn't be worried about that either.

perhaps when you started to talkin to the other individual in the hall or whatever, he felt like you neglected, or turned down his "happy to see you smile" .. and then didnt know what to think about it. it sounds like you both think the other is sending mixed signals. i think you should just ask him if he wants to catch dinner & a movie, or a coffee and a walk through the park after one of your program thigners.

Well they were sitting next to each other, so I went up to both of them to ask if they were ready for the exam. And then I made direct comments to him afterward...not even to the other guy. But you're right, if he misinterpreted it as me ignoring him then he might have gotten weird.

A few of us are planning on going out to the bar after next week's class to celebrate the end of the semester, so I'm going to try to ask him to come along. It's hard because he doesn't make himself very approachable.

Well they were sitting next to each other, so I went up to both of them to ask if they were ready for the exam. And then I made direct comments to him afterward...not even to the other guy. But you're right, if he misinterpreted it as me ignoring him then he might have gotten weird.

A few of us are planning on going out to the bar after next week's class to celebrate the end of the semester, so I'm going to try to ask him to come along. It's hard because he doesn't make himself very approachable.

don't let him intimidate you, just walk up to him and be like "get your coat we're going out" just make sure if you haul him along to the bar, you dont neglect him, caise that could very well throw him off too

I'm going to try to. It is my last chance until the fall because it's the last day of the semester. I don't even know if I have any classes with him next year. It's a small grad program so hopefully I will, but who knows. It's also hard to because since it is a small program, I don't want to make it apparent to everyone that I'm interested. I like to keep my private life private, unless I choose to share it with someone. Hopefully he won't be adverse to going to the bar in the early afternoon, haha. It is a program tradition though (even though it's only our second semester).

I'm going to try to. It is my last chance until the fall because it's the last day of the semester. I don't even know if I have any classes with him next year. It's a small grad program so hopefully I will, but who knows. It's also hard to because since it is a small program, I don't want to make it apparent to everyone that I'm interested. I like to keep my private life private, unless I choose to share it with someone. Hopefully he won't be adverse to going to the bar in the early afternoon, haha. It is a program tradition though (even though it's only our second semester).

pfft, he has to get to know you some time

you make sure you get this boys number

so you can call him up and invite him on

many more excitng dates

haha I don't know him well enough to do that. I'll try to do something like it though. Like tell him he's coming with us, maybe not grab his stuff though. It's very like me to tell someone they're coming when I want them to come. I did that to a friend of mine on his voicemail and even though he didn't end up coming, he thought it was hilarious and saved the voicemail lol