If I started a relationship with someone I was attracted to physically and emotionally and personality wise, I would wait about a month before I would sleep with him. Although I would wait for him to initiate that. I tend to be shy when it comes to matters like that. I like to wait about a month before getting physical with a guy because I want to make sure he isnt just in it for the sex. I also want to have some feelings develop on both sides that are not just physical in nature.

Personally, historically, if it doesn't happen by the third date, I lose interest very, very quickly.

I guess it wouldn't have to be intercourse per se, any kind of sexual contact would be sufficient, but I've never had a guy say no.

All this being said, keep in mind I'm in the minority. I don't put a high emotional value to sex. Yes, it can be great when you love the person, and it HAS been better with my boyfriend than ever before, but I can have sex with a person and just enjoy it in the moment.

Orgasmictofu, I wish I could be like you and have sex and enjoy the moment. I have a high sex drive but I avoid having sex with anybody right now because I dont need to have to deal with the emotional attachments that can come with the sex act. How do you manage to separate your emotions from the sex act? I have always had a hard time separating both issues.

How do you manage to separate your emotions from the sex act?

I never had to try. It just came naturally.

They CAN go hand in hand. Now that I'm with a guy who I love tremendously, sex is MUCHO better. It just means so much more. Before it was more about physical sensations, and I still enjoyed it, but now it is physical sensations, AND emotions, so it makes it better.

If you want to know when someone is ready, then the next time things get hot and heavy, don't be afraid to make the move to take it to the next level. But if they say no, then stop. But if you guys get hot and heavy on the next date, go for the next step again, but once again, if they aren't ready and say so, respect that and stop. Keep doing so until they are ready.

I know a lot of girls who say not to do this, but it's funny, so many times in the past guys have been dumped for NOT making the move. With my fiance', she says the same thing. Do not make the move if they aren't ready, but you know what? I did this with her and it worked out fine. Took me 3 months, but it worked out fine.

Another thing, if the girl tells you she waits a certain amount of time, it doesn't mean she will. I have heard girls say they are waiting for marriage, and end up giving it up to someone on a one night stand. I've seens girls who say they wait a few months give it up in 1 week. So what they say versus what they do can be very misleading and confusing. I've also seen girls with reputations as being easy make guys wait a month or two. It's hard to not get confused with this. This is why I would recommend not giving any credit to what is said. The girl may not want to look like a * * * * but may still want to do it.

This is not to say that someone should force it, NO WAY. But as I mentioned, if you guys are in bed together and getting it on in a heavy makeout session, and you want to test the waters, then test them. If she stops you, then stop. If the following night the same thing happens, then test the waters again. If she says stop, then stop. The problem is that if you NEVER make a move because of something she said in a conversation, you could risk her ditching you for your inability to take action. It's happened to me in the past.

That is true - I say "4 months", but maybe if I've know the guy for years and years and we just started dating, that number might become lower. Or, maybe if we really really really hit it off. Or, I might just not feel comfortable enough with him at 4 months. Really depends on the situation.