From time to time I stutter on my sentences or have a sort of mental block and cannot for the life of me remember a word or name that would normally be recalled instantly.

The odd thing is that this happens most often and most extremely around my roommates, whom I have known for over eight years. When I'm talking in public or to strangers, it's generally a great deal easier for me to speak clearly.

Has anyone heard of problems like this or have any suggestions for me? Thanks!

wow this is weird! In the past, have you or your roomates fought or had any sort of confrontation that would have caused you to "block them out" so to speak? Our minds do the craziest things at times that are hard to explain.

What have they (roommates) got to say about this "condition"? Are they completely confused or did they offer any possibilites?

This is really strange, especially when it's directed towards people you know and not to complete strangers or the general public. Anyone else have any suggestions?

When that happens, pause and take a breath - as deep as you can. The oxygen rush to the brain can kickstart the speech/memory problem. Actors do that when they forget a line. Doesn't always work but mostly it does.

I know 2 people who have this "problem" and so do I. It's normal. I put the word problem in quotes because unless it is hindering your realtionships with other people or making it hard to live normally than I don't think its a problem.

When you feel yourself getting flustered, stop and let your mind catch up to your mouth. As soon as it does, start talking again. It's not a big deal if you pause in the middle of a sentence. No one's going to think you're crazy. Just say "sorry, lost my train of thought" or something and you're fine.

Usually when I stutter I just continue it on and make up words until all I've said is jibberish. It may sound silly but it makes the other person laugh and it relieves me of any worries I might have because the other person is atleast smiling. This kind of goes with PocoDiablo's advice of making it a joke. That's what I do.

I hope this helps!