Dating "competition"

Just wondering what people do in the face of "competition" for someone they're interested in. Do you step up your attention toward the person you like? Behave the same way regardless of if anyone else is interested in him/her? Or do you back off?

When I'm interested in someone, I try to act the same regardless, but I definitely notice when someone else is trying to get his attention. Sometimes I do back off a little, 'cause i hate to be obvious. lol.

well what i would do personally is take it up a notch...if you like this guy and you see another girl trying to take him you better believe that you have tog et his attention away from her and on you...if you know this guy as a friend then its easy...say this guy was talking to ur "competition" walk by them and bump into then when he turns around say sorry ....smile at him and look him in the eyes kinda flirting h=with him and try to talk to him when ever he's alone and talk about him b/c guys like talking about themselves...but if you dont know him them try not to be too much attached to him and try to be his friend first...

I am the type of person that will just never compete for the affection of another so I guess in a way I would back off. I don't ever want to "fight" to keep my boyfriend so why would I want to "fight" to keep his attention in the first place? The way I see it the guy either knows I'm a prize or I know he's not.

I don't fight for the attention of people who don't have commitments to me. If he doesn't notice me for what I'm willing to give, then so be it. I'm not going to fall all over myself trying to please someone I'm not even dating. If a guy wants to flirt with someone else to make me jealous or to make me try harder to gain their attentions then I'm not interested. I think its trite and manipulative, I do not play games and I do not respect those that do.

Same here, I'm not gonna waste my time on someone who can't make up their mind. If they're confused as to who they should be with then they must not feel that strongly about me in the first place. Move on and find someone who WILL appreciate you.

It's really interesting to hear what everyone has to say. I thought I'd be the only one, or one of few people, who would back off. But I see many people feel the same way. I definitely agree - the guy has to see who I am and be intrigued with me, without my having to get in his face.

BUT, at the same time, I need to ask myself if I'm making myself available for him to know who I am, you know? If I'm being too subtle, maybe I need to send signals that I am open to getting to know him at least.