A good place to meet people?

Kevin T

Where do you guys think are the best places to meet members of the opposite sex? School? Work? Volunteer organizations? The mall? Church? The bar or a club? The laundromat? Just randomly approaching people you meet where ever you may be at the time? You can use your own personal experiences as reference, if it helps. I'm just wondering about this.

Hey,

I think some of it has to do with the type of person you are (your personality) & just the randomness that is life. I've met most of the guys I'm interested in at school, although some of it is sorta random -- at the laundromat, the bank, through friends, clubs, that type of thing... you can't really plan these things.

As for what I mean by personality -- the more outgoing/party type of people I'd expect would be more likely to meet people they like at bars/parties/nightclubs, but the more introvertive person might be more likely to meet a significant other at a more quieter place that's still in line with their interests. That doesn't mean (if you're introvertive) that you should hit up the library and hope to meet someone there (although I admit I have meet a few friends at the library randomly), but joining clubs of interests are a good place to meet people.

Also, can I just say, don't join something with the sole expectation of meeting a gf there. One of my friends takes a pilates class at 7:00 a.m. and she says there are only 2 guys registered -- she can tell they're not there to really learn pilates, but just to scope out chicks. And it turns her off. Join something because you truly have an interest in it.. otherwise it's probably a waste of money and you won't enjoy your time. And plus you're young, still lots of time to meet people... no need to be desperate and commit to something that you have 0 interest it, because it will show.

Lily

That's a good goal, Dude. It's a good way of having fun... I just know some people who are so hung up on meeting people and don't see the fun in the interaction, and that's sorta disappointing. Just be open to meeting new people & you'll have fun, and that's what life is all about, anyway. When you're not trying so hard, it's usually then that you meet someone.

Where do you guys think are the best places to meet members of the opposite sex? School? Work? Volunteer organizations? The mall? Church? The bar or a club? The laundromat? Just randomly approaching people you meet where ever you may be at the time? You can use your own personal experiences as reference, if it helps. I'm just wondering about this.

Anywhere but your bedroom sitting at the computer is a good place to meet the opposite sex.

Well... there are dating sites as well. =) I haven't tried them before personally, but I know some people have been successful with them.

Not me. And it is not for a lack of trying. I tried to start online chats with plenty of women, from link removed to Yahoo Personals and even the old Love at AOL, but they all want to see a pic first before they want to chat, which is only fair of course. Once they see the pic, "things" come up or they just don't respond back and I am back to square one. All of this after exchanging pleasant e-mails complimenting on my humor and kindness. If they just said they wanted a good looking guy then I wouldn 't waste my time.

I disagree. When I moved to San Antonio I didn't know anyone and didn't even know of any good places to go out. I made some friends online and met them at a sports bar one night. I no longer live in SA, but I go back there 5 times a year to visit. You can meet really great people from the net.

Yes you are right. There are great sites out there to meet friends, especially if you are new in town. But for romance, not a good idea, especially when you are someone like me who is not attractive in pictures, thus cannot find someone online to meet.

I've actually met my most significant others thorugh school or through the Internet. One was through a local group that just got together... socially... and I met her at a party. Another was through a dating site.

Now I have decided to diversify and joined a photography club and the sierra club and, while I haven't met anyone, I'm having a good time pursuing activities that interest me. Just try to make friends with people... you meet others through friends.

When I think about it, I met most of the guys I have dated in the past through my brother (who is only a couple of years older than me).

While the team I play on is a women's club team, I meet alot of people at drop-in hockey and while going to watch hockey games.

Basically, I meet people through other people and through sports. Also, at a few of my classes up here at college I meet quite a few people.