Never thought I'd be a homewrecker... especially when nothing happened between us.

An old friend came up to visit last weekend. She had a wedding to attend in the city, and didn't know her way around, so I let her stay over. She had invited her boyfriend along, but he didn't want to come. They've had problems brewing already, but they broke up the day she returned home. Coincidence? I think not.

We've known each other since childhood, and in recent years, we've talked to each other about relationship problems. She and her boyfriend argued pretty often... they had at least 3 breakups on my watch. Now they're at the standoff phase, where each one refuses to call the other first.

I give all of my friends objective advice. I refuse to tell her what to do, because selfishly, I hope they'll reconcile, to wash my hands of any guilt. She wants to get back together with him, but says they've had so many problems, that it wouldn't be entirely devastating if it were really over. But still, she's pretty broken up about it.

What would you do in my shoes? Thanks.

Why exactly do you feel guilty? Do you think you caused them to break up in a way?

I don't think you should feel guilty. They were having problems before she stayed over.. and they were likely to break up this time because they have broken up so many times before.. and they were having problems.

You did absolutely nothing wrong by letting her stay over. You are not responsible for what happens in their relationship. You are actually trying to help her, which is the best you can do.

Just keep being there for her. That's all you can do.

Yes, I agree with maggie, if you did nothing wrong, and the breakup was not about her staying over, then you are clean of debt and guilt. Maybe in the end it is better for her to leave the relationship, even if she is not into it, it will still hurt, but she will get over it faster.