His visa application has been denied

My boyfriend was supposed to come and visit me for Christmas. We made so many plans and he bought the expensive plane tickets because it is necessary to show them with the visa application. Today we learned that his application has been denied. We do not know the reason yet because they would not tell me. To find out, he has to wait for the embassy in the country where he applied to open in the morning.

There is only 1 week left before the day we were supposed to meet in my country. I have very little hope that he will still be able to get a visa somehow. We see all our Christmas plans fall to pieces. We have only very limited time that we can spend together and now even this is taken away from us. I feel crushed.

My boyfriend was supposed to come and visit me for Christmas. We made so many plans and he bought the expensive plane tickets because it is necessary to show them with the visa application. Today we learned that his application has been denied. We do not know the reason yet because they would not tell me. To find out, he has to wait for the embassy in the country where he applied to open in the morning.

There is only 1 week left before the day we were supposed to meet in my country. I have very little hope that he will still be able to get a visa somehow. We see all our Christmas plans fall to pieces. We have only very limited time that we can spend together and now even this is taken away from us. I feel crushed.

I would wait until you can find out WHY before you panic too much - it may be something very correctable! I imagine this was a visitor visa?

I know how much it must be hurting right now to think your plans may be all array, however fix what you can solve, not dwell on what you can't. Is it possible to cancel the tickets (will be a charge, but not terrible) and you to go there instead on short notice?

Lisica,

I know how you feel - I have been in a very similar situation more than once (not with the ex I sometimes mention here, but in a long relationship before him). It is one of the most cruel things that can happen - you live towards that moment, the anticipation grows, and then, the blow.

First of all, don't give up yet: Maybe you are more experienced about this than I am, but the way I got to know the authorities responsible for visa, they like to play their little attritional games with you. I remember a case where there were three refusals, and then suddenly, totally last-minute of course, everything was alright. (Is it even legal for them not to tell you a reason?)

Secondly, if it doesn't work out, I hope the two of you have medium- to long-term plans on how you will overcome this difficult situation. I know it's a poor consolation (actually nothing can be a consolation when something like this happens) but concrete plans for the future help to keep hope alive.

Zimetra

Thank you all for your support. It really means a lot to me and it encourages me to not to give in too easily.

There are 2 administrations playing around with us: one is the consulate of my country in the US, and the other one is the administration in my country. The first one accepts applications and gives information, the second one makes the actual decisions. If you call one, you can be sure in advance they will refer you to the other somehow. Only, there is a 9 hour time difference, so having to call the other, means loosing another day.

We found out the reason of the denial. My bf applied for the visa in the US but he is not an American. They refused the visa because when he leaves the US he can not enter it anymore. This is a very strange reason because after visiting my country, he would not be returning to the US. In fact, he and I both have plane tickets to fly to his country the day after Christmas so we can spend new year with his family. With his visa application, he also showed proof of reservation for this, so at the consulate they knew that he was obviously not returning to the US.

To be able to go to his country, I need my own visa. That is why at the moment my passport is at the consulate of his country in my country. I know, it gets complicated...

Monday is the last day for a possible miracle to happen to get him a visa for my country. Otherwise we will both try to fly sooner to his country and meet each other there. For me this will also involve rebooking my ticket (not easy so close to Christmas) and getting the right visa (mission impossible).

I feel that it is so unfair because we have to miss out on so many things already during the year. Since Summer we have been living so much towards the Christmas' holidays. We often talk about what is going on in our lives and this is the one opportunity to actually show each other the people and the places of our stories.

On top of everything personal, I also have quite some friends and relatives waiting and asking the whole year when they are going to see my bf again. My sister has a new bf since February and she is very much looking forward to introducing the 2 bf's to each other for the first time and spending Christmas evening together (I am too). My parents invited us for Christmas day and my mom called me twice already to discuss the perfect present for my bf. Friends of mine have a new born baby which I would like so much for my bf to see.

I planned to take my bf to a big Christmas' market and also to take him shopping for some new clothes I like. Often when I walk in the streets here and I see couples walking arm in arm, I get jealous a bit but then I remind myself that we will be able to do that too that one week before Christmas, which will make up for everything else. Now I have to be realistic that it might not happen this year... It is extremely hard to accept...

I have some difficult phone calls to make today to tell my family and friends that they might not meet with my bf again this Christmas, and on top of that, that I might not even been here if I can fly to his country to be with him. My mom is already scared that I will go and live abroad in the future - telling her that I might not be home for Christmas is not going to be an easy job. Especially since it has not been an easy year for her.

I feel so torn between people I love. It is so unfair and stupid because with a single sticker in a passport they could all be at the same table on Christmas.

Hi,

Sorry to hear that.

I feel the same way too, when I see couples holding hands on the street.

I do hope your situation turn good.

Immigration and visa application problem are one of the obstacles for inter-country long distance relationship. It would test both of your love for each other. So have faith that both of you would see each other again. ;p

• 2 weeks later...

I feel for you darling...my b/f is a 20 hour plane ride away and Im dying to see him....its so hard being away and we are trying to arrange him a visa to come to my country however it may take 4-5 months to be accepted...its so hard and I can imagine the fact that your visa was denied just before christmas would be so hard but just remember that you aren't alone and hopefully you can see him soon....and remember when you do you will forget all the hard times in the past cos just being in his arms will be all that matters.....and i bet you will share many christmas experiences together