do you think its possible for two people to go their separate ways for a while (meaning NC or very minimal contact)....grow as people on their own and find each other again? (meaning like a real serious breakup in which you actually do plan to move on....)

has anyone ever been apart from their ex for a *significant* amount of time...and then ended up getting back together and had it work out?

anyone heard of anyone who ever did this?

j know people are always talking about this but ive only heard of this happening with one couple (my friends ex got back together with his ex after they broke up....)

My then girlfriend broke up with me to go back to her own country. We were apart for several months before we got back together and have now been married for over thirty years. So it does happen but my observation is that it is comparatively rare and so my experience should not be taken as false hope for anyone who is currently broken up.

I think it can and does happen. I've never seen it happen myself but I am sure it does.

I think it is more common for people to grow apart though. Usually there is a good reason for a break up and most people I think tend to take a view that the past is the past.

Yes Donut..I believe it happens..BUT I believe it happens ONLY when both

people have fully moved on and are no longer bitter about the initial break up. Also after they have both grown as individuals ....basic compatibility and RESPECT is a MUST for a relationship to work. I have heard of people remarrying each other after divorcing...so ANYthing is possible if both people want it bad enough.

My boyfriend broke up with me for a few months last winter, and I had to move out. With dedication and hard work, we were able to work things out and I moved back in with him this past July. Things are going well for us now.

I think if both parties want to be together and are willing to work at it together than there is a chance.

It happened to the sister of my ex's. After a long-term relationship, her then bf moved away to a different city and broke up with her and had another gf for a year and half. Then he ended up breaking up with the other girl, went back to his hometown, and started asking for my ex's sister out. She, on the other hand, took a long time to recover from the breakup and was just starting to date again when he returned. Apparently she was very angry and told him not to move back to the city for her. But in the end they did manage to mend all that's broken in the past and have been married for 4 years and just had their second kid.

So, it does happen, sometimes, when there is a solid basis for the relationship in the first place. But it takes a lot of effort from both sides and it only happens when both have moved on with their lives...

onmyownagain,

im very sorry to hear that. that must be really really hard. to you mind my asking why you split again? and when you were together for 9 years....did you have any gut feelings about it that pointed towards things NOT working out......?

Hi Donut,

The relationship was always a bit rocky I guess, but most of the time we were happy and I didn't think we would ever split. But the last few months were very bad and my wife drifted away from me. Told me she wasn't sure she loved me any more and wasn't prepared to carry on trying. The usual type of thing.

I don't actually feel too bad at the moment because I do feel a certain release but I do miss her. But I don't think that is enough for me to want to go back to the relationship.

Yes it happens, people come back, but it doesn't always lead anywhere. I have this guy who I dated 7 yrs ago and ever so often he pops back into my life. We date a bit, and then we go our separate ways. I think it has something to do with the fact we were always friends, no hate, no love...just got along great. He's the one I think about when I don't have a date a certain Sat night."Hmmm I wish so-so was here to take me out." Maybe he's my soulmate...nahhhhh