Cure for longtime depression

Hi, I'm not sure if anyone here can relate but I find it really difficult to talk about my depression/anxiety illness to anyone. I've been a longtime sufferer of this since childhood and it has affected pretty much every aspect of my life - work, relationships, self-esteem, etc...

Really on the surface I have nothing to complain about, I have a loving partner, close family and a couple of good friends (although not many). I seem to have lost alot of friends over the years from just losing touch, differences, growing apart, etc... Sometimes this makes me sad that I haven't kept in touch with some of them.

My doctor has put me on so many anti-depressants and anxiety medication. They help somewhat but It seems that when I go off them, my symptoms just keep coming back.

I feel trapped in this crippling illness which seems to dominate my life. Life should be enjoyable but I'm so miserable at times. I feel like I have no "spark" in me.

i too suffer from the same ailment. i make myself miserable...no one else does. this affects my relationships from my friends to my family to my boyfriend. i wish i could tell you how i finally got better. but i did. i suffered with it for years...even tried suicide and was institutionalized.

i actually have small bouts every now and then...but at least it isnt constant like how you are describing. i feel like i'll never be 100% but the way i am now is finally livable because i do finally experience happiness again.

the biggest help was finding a way to enjoy being alone and independent. easier said than done...took a lonnnnng while. but i love to shop and learn stuff about either psychology, biology or computers. and i love to listen to music and watch tv and being around my cats.

i was on several diff types of meds also and saw a therapist. they did help some. i found reading about my ailment and talking with others made me feel like i wasnt alone on this. when i was instutionalized...i met a lot of people that had what i had...and some much worse. i felt grateful that my surroundings werent as difficult and was relieved to know that i wasnt the only one that found living a very difficult thing to do sometimes.

hang in there. sometimes life does get better. mine did. im finally relieved that im here and not dead.

- ivy

This is the key reason why my ex split with me. The fact you know that you have depression from time to time is a good thing. WHY ? Because there are millions of people out there who suffer from it and dont even know it ! Can you imagine that???

Anti depressants ans anti anxiety medication are not a panacea for depression. They help but perhaps (if you are strong enough) you need to find out WHYthose demons ( and thats what they are ) keep popping up and saying a big nasty HELLOOOO IM BACK !! COME DOWN HERE WITH ME AGAIN. Dont forget 80% of depression is cureable

Not a prof on this just a very unhappy ex boyfriend whoes love of there life has this and keeps dumping me. But she will be OK in 3 months again - until the next time !!

I'm not sure what I can say to help, but I am right there with you. I don't know what helps longtime depression.

On the surface, you'd never know I struggle with it. My life looks great and I'm always cheerful, laughing, and smiling in public. I fight depression with all my strength--I'm in counseling, I socialize, I take medicine, I exercise, eat right, and do yoga. I paint, cook, and listen to music (great therapy for me). My house is decorated in vibrant colors.

For as long as I can remember, the depression is always right behind me--taunting me, poking me, then overtaking me. It's eating me alive, and I feel like I can't get any relief.

I just want you to know that there are others who share your struggle.

For as long as I can remember, the depression is always right behind me--taunting me, poking me, then overtaking me. It's eating me alive, and I feel like I can't get any relief.

So true. Even on days where I think I feel better, it always seems to creep up behind me. I have no energy or drive. There are times where I feel like taking a week off from work just to hide away from the real world. If I could make a career out of watching television or surfing the internet, I would!!! Lol.

What I would do to feel energetic again.

Dont forget 80% of depression is cureable

Where do you get your figures?

TommyJ, I believe that anti-depressants are what doctors would like to believe is a 'quick-fix' solution - whereas, as you have experienced, they do little in the long-term.

I suggest talk-therapy of some kind.

You do not have to feel embarrassed about it - there are millions of people out there going through the same thing as you.

There is no stigma anymore.

PM me if you would like to talk about it.

Darkblue, I agree with you cause I am taking Effexor and so far the result of it is that it seems to be a "mask". The medication has a numbing effect on my feelings. I don't feel sad and I don't feel happy, sort of in-between and indifferent. I am also on the medication to ease anxiety and so far it's been effective, however it would be good to get to the root cause of my problem which will probably take alot of work.

I'm not sure how people get through life with this illness. It is so disabling as it wreaks havoc on your self-esteem. I'm a fairly smart person but my self-confidence is non-existant. I feel that everyone else seems to be more far ahead than me. I'm 31 years old, don't make a great deal of money, don't have kids, I'm not married, etc... I really feel that if I had more self-confidence, I would have accomplished these things alot sooner.

Fiqures were found on this web site

Hope it helps

Where do you get your figures?

TommyJ, I believe that anti-depressants are what doctors would like to believe is a 'quick-fix' solution - whereas, as you have experienced, they do little in the long-term.

I suggest talk-therapy of some kind.

You do not have to feel embarrassed about it - there are millions of people out there going through the same thing as you.

There is no stigma anymore.

PM me if you would like to talk about it.