cocky vs. confident

I've been working a lot lately on improving my self-esteem and confidence, and I'm starting to wonder about something. Where would one draw the line between being confident and sure of yourself, and just being a cocky jerk? I'm worried that by acting more confident, people will just end up thinking I'm bigheaded or something along those lines...

confidence (n)

A feeling of assurance, especially of self-assurance.

The state or quality of being certain.

cocky (adj)

Overly self-assertive or self-confident.

Basically if you are too full of yourself and shows off too much then you're probably gonna be considered cocky.

Confidence is when you know you can do something without making such a big deal about it.

Confidence is believing in yourself, speaking up, and defending yourself.

Cocky is thinking you are right and having to rub it in peoples faces, always butting in with a comment even when it isn't necessary, and intentionally trying to make others feel lesser then you.

heya

yeh cocky is not good!!! but i think you are being a bit paranoid, if you just want to seem more confident this is completely different to being cocky.

being confident is just being comfortable in your own shoes, being able to talk to a group of people you don't know, not hesitating to do what you want to do, not being bothered about what others think of you, being yourself, being open, saying your views, going for the girl you like etc

being cocky is being big headed. Being loud, overtaking the converstion form anyone else who wants to speak, not listening to their opinion, telling them they are wrong, always thinking you are right, thinking every girl is gona drop dead at your feet. basically being an arsehole.

i dont think you can just become confident and just try to be it, i think its a change that will happen. I used to be a v.shy person and whished i was confident, however over the last only year really i have changed so much and have become a lot more sociable. i used to believe people didnt wana know me, and now i am the complete opposite and love talking to everyone and no -one would ever call me shy. theyd just laugh if anyone did! i am myself around people so they see me, otherwise what's the point??? i dont think about it anymore. I can talk for england!!

on the other side i still want to increase my opinion of myself, I always think other people can do a task better then me, i still put myself down too much presuming i cant do things. and if i have to talk ie in a seminar or give a presentaion then i am still absoloutly hopeless. i am a stuttering nervoue wreck, and yet if i was just gabbing on about life and whatever im just like blarblarblarblarblarblarblar!!!!! strange.

maybe i will change with time, like i have on the social side without even reallysing it!!! im sure you will too, just go with the flow, be who you want to be,do what you want to do, dont care about what people think of you. think you will be a bonus to their lives and just aim to have fun!!!!!

love sugar x