Psychology Program Accreditation & Practice

I was curious as to whether anyone here is familiar with the APA and State accreditation systems. I have a minor dilemma arising due to this fact, as I'm confused by a certain particular aspect now that I've found out about it.

I plan to continue Psychology into the Graduate level (Masters, Ph.D) at this point my preference would be Counseling Psychology, instead of the Clinical field. There are two public Universities in state that offer Psychology programs. The one which I am interested in, is that which I find is only accredited for Clinical. The other which I personally am not interested in, is accreditated for Counseling.

I've been reading about License and Accreditation both national (APA) and State (Az Board of Psychology) and I'm getting two different ideas here. To an extent one seems to be stating that an accredited Applied Psychology program, is just that, a Psychology program. Period. As long as it is approved. Then another source which makes a statement that acceditation is given, a license to practice Psychology is general and not single field oriented, yet it then mentions that when a Psychologist is setting up a private practice or being hired by an institution of one form or another it is vital to review whether their education was cemented in Clinical or Counseling. Secondly, a comment about both Clinical and Counseling psychologists are able to work equally in either settings (educational or mental based), and/or usually side by side.

When all is said and done, I am asking if anyone knows, are the positions interchangable (within reason) or, Clinical (given it has the mental health basis) Psychologists only work with problem students should they be employed in an educational environment and Counseling Psychologists are only allowed to assist with Educational assistance and recommendations and some minor adjustment and campus issues? Curious whether someone could clarify this to me.

Hmm, it all sounds rather complicated to me. The best thing would be to call the Universities directly and ask to speak with the program coordinator. Bear in mind that they will probably try to "sell" you their University and course of course! You will probably have to read between the lines.

I was once interested in counselling psychology and was under the impression that clinical and counselling psychology were the same thing. It is probably best that you sort this out now, before you lock yourself in to something. You may have to move interstate to do the program that suits you though.

Best of luck!

Thankyou for the reply. I'll have to do that but as you've said, everyone is out to sell their University, so it is difficult to weed through everything.

I was once interested in counselling psychology and was under the impression that clinical and counselling psychology were the same thing.

Both have Counseling/Psychotherapy methods taught but to my knowledge the difference is that in the case of Clinical Students, Counseling/Psychotherapy is directed towards use on the Mentally ill patients. Whereas, Counseling is directed towards the mentally stable part of the population and the basis is offering your reasoning and advice skills towards a situation.

I suppose, the major difference is then how you were taught to approach a particular situation. Being, have one situation, and two approaches depending on the individual training.

I'll just have to check into the situation and see where it goes, hopefully be some positive words or else I'll be going out of state for further education when application times come up.