Midol can help, but actually the best ways to alleviate PMS is a few non-drug solutions.

Eating healthy can really help - reducing salt intake prevents bloating/cramping for example, and a generally healthy diet can help with general health/feeling.

Exercise is VERY good...it eases cramping, bloating, moodiness, and so forth. Regular cardio and strength training both help release endorphins which help with mood, and regulate hormones.

Drinking milk has been shown in recent studies to reduce symptoms of PMS.

You CAN also talk to your doctor about the pill or other hormone birth control - they all help reduce PMS in many women (not all, but many).

hehe thanks for your reply

I do eat very healthy, everything home made.. I barly eat out, and I go the gym 4 times a week.. and yet I have cramps that time of the month. I don't want to go on the pill because I don't want to take any hormones..

I will see if Midol does the thing

Nina

Another thing is using a heating pad on your lower abdomen and gentle walking exercises if you are in pain.

Drink lots of water to keep those muscles hydrated, and steer away from the salt. Yoga and gentle stretching helps too.

As far as pain goes, Advil works great for me, but you can try Midol or Pamprin as well, as they are geared specifically for PMS pain.

Hope75

"Another thing is using a heating pad on your lower abdomen and gentle walking exercises if you are in pain. "

really? that's weird I read somewhere that placing a heated pad is not good cause it makes the period longer? I used to do that, but when I read that I stoped..

humm I guess don't believe everything u read heeh

thanks for the reply girls!

Nina

Ah yes, heating pads do help...well it did me when I used to have worse PMS at least. The pill and age both reduced symptoms for me.

And I second the yoga. I practice yoga regularly, in addition to weight training and cycling/running and it really does help by increasing blood flow through body and also just helps with your mind...

Other non-drug things that help are jumping up an,d down on the spot and horse riding (ok , not always easy to put into practice theese.

Over here we take Doliprane (which I believe is Panadol under another name) and it usually works for me.

Don't take aspirin as it'll make the bloodflow much worse

(don't ask me how I know that...)

Good luck

I have cramps from hell. Seriously. You probably have them as bad as me, judging by your post. And if you do, don't bother taking Midol. It works well on emotional PMS symptoms, but for me it does nothing for the pain. I take two Advil liquid-gels, and they finally get around to working about an hour later. So I don't recommend that either. For me, taking a *really, really* hot bath or putting the heating pad over my stomach helps. Also, movement makes it better too. Sitting in the same place makes it sooo much worse. But basically, I just have to wait it out. Perhaps you will be lucky and Midol will work. Try that first, then try my stuff. Good luck hun.

Hope75

"Another thing is using a heating pad on your lower abdomen and gentle walking exercises if you are in pain. "

really? that's weird I read somewhere that placing a heated pad is not good cause it makes the period longer? I used to do that, but when I read that I stoped..

humm I guess don't believe everything u read heeh

thanks for the reply girls!

Nina

This is an old wives tale. All using heat does is increase blood flow to the muscular uterus, relaxing the muscles and reducing severity of the the contractions/cramps. The amount of blood/tissue lining built up in your uterus is not going to increase because of the application of heat. Hormones are what controls that, and by the time you are shedding the lining (your period) no more is being built up until your period stops and the hormones signal it's time to rebuild for next month.

I'd forgotton about using a heating pad!!!! Thank-you Thank-you Thank-you.

Exercise helps. Stretching. Sittig in a hot bath, Relaxing the muscles.

I take MOTRIN when its really bad... about 600mg. I had HCG performed twice...and the doctor prescribed 600mg of Motrin before hand. Hhmmm I thought.. if it works ot alleviate the discomfort of and HCG (dye check)...then it'd work for cramps.

Now...if I can only relieve the emotional PMS I get. To me... the physical is nothing compared to the emotional turmoil I go through each month.

hey girls! I guess I will be using the taking a warm bath and put something warm on my stomach. it seems to be working with a lot of you

Winterfairy -- I take 2 advils as well and it does take about a few hours to calm down.. so yeah we have it THAT bad lol

Thanks girls

Nina

I feel for you, I get really horrible cramps, so bad I can't move and just have to curl up in bed and moan in pain. Really feels like I'm dying.

I'm pregnant now, and really enjoying not having my period (of course labour will be worse than the worst cramps, but that's still a few months away).

My mom is a nurse, and one of her nursing friends gave me a supply of Tylenol 3 with codiene from the hospital. I would take one of those and the cramps would go...bliss. They're pretty heavy duty though. If normal drug store meds aren't helping, you might try talking to your doctor to see if she can prescribe something stronger.

Are you on the pill? Often times the hormones help ease the intensity of the cramps as well as help to stabilize the emotional turmoil. That question also goes to Shadows Light.

There are several different kinds and some help with cramps/mood swings more than others, talk to your doctors about which ones might be good for you.

On the first day of my period I always had stomach cramps, sickness and diahorea. I spent most of the day sat on the toilet with my head in a bucket!

My nanna (Grandmother) used to give me a hot water bottle to put on my stomach. To stop the nausea she would give me a small glass of whisky with hot water in it and a teaspoonful of sugar. She'd say it was an old remedy and it'd settle my stomach one way or the other. I was always sick. I still hate the smell and taste of whisky to this day. YUK! Then she'd send me to bed for the rest of the day so I would sleep.

When I went on the pill it stopped all of this. Unfortunately now I'm going into the menopause it's starting all over again! Instead of being one day and really severe, this time it's everyday and I've never had so much cramp, nausea and diahorea. But this time it's when i've eaten something.

Has anyone got an idea how to cope with this? I don't want to have whisky again. i feel sick at the thought.