an urge to become pregnant

is it normal for a a girl (say, 18 years old?) to have a strong urge to have a baby? i know that i am not ready to get pregnant. but i have a very strong desire to have a baby. is it just the natural 'mother instinct" showing through?

no worries--i'm not going to do anything that i'm not ready for--but this wasn't something that was explained as a part of life.

and will i feel this way when i AM ready?

My opinion is that is unusual to have that kind of urge at your age. I do know there is a biological clock that generally goes off in the mid-late twenties for most women. That's an average based on experience and that of my friends. But I really do think it's uncommon for an 18 year old to feel that way, but I'm not expert on biology.

I had a STRONG urge to have a baby at 18, 19 and 20

I got pregnant at 21 and was just FREAKED OUT!!! Even thought it was apparently what I had always wanted....

That pregnancy didnt work out and I suppose it was for the best.

I am 25 now, still cant wait to have children but I want to wait until my fiance and I have stable jobs which will be very soon

I never had that urge at that age, but I know of others who did, and it`s good to realize that it is just that...an urge, not a an order!! Take this test...think about adopting a puppy. If it sounds like too much to take on right now, then probably you aren`t ready for a baby, urge or no urge!

Women can have these "urges" at many points in their life - I knew girls who had "urges" at 14 or 15, but then often it was to have 'someone to love them'...

I have urges sometimes when I see other babies, or parents my age, or at certain times of year, or cycle, or see baby clothes, or think of my future with my partner (I cried a couple weeks ago as my going back to school will have me putting kids off even longer, even though I was not planning on having them for a while anyway..lol) etc etc.

The important thing is you recognize it is an urge, and realize that it takes a lot more than an urge to be a responsible parent

i think it is most likely related to my brother's girlfriend. she is pregnant and due in august. she lives with us now, and i'm not really fond of her, or the fact that she is living here, but i find myself jaelous now and then. i'm just excited to get to that part of my life. i know that it will probably be a long time though, because i am going to college this year, and i know i will be there for a long, long time.

If you're still around after the baby is born and see all of the work it is, your jealousy will be greatly reduced! When you wake up in the middle of the night to crying and can say "Whew! Glad I don't have to get up, can't wait to see the cute little guy\girl in the morning though!" you mayl see that your jealousy may be based on the cute\fun aspects of babies.

• 3 weeks later...