Worried about child behaviors/signs of adhd or sensory issue?

Just now, boltnrun said:

I had a college age young woman come in. She was studying to work in childcare so she had some book knowledge, but she was also warm and engaging. Plus, no worries about my kids being fed junk since we had no junk in our home. And it wasn't super costly either.

A lot of Nannies here are paid over $20 an hour depending on education. The daycare I worked for the RECE’s made $22 an hour and daycare was $90 a day for infants and $76 for toddler and pre school children. 

But it would depend entirely on location. 

I charge $45 a day per child. 
( no I am not working today, lol as I have been posting a lot . My before school kiddos were on the bus at 8:30) 

3 hours ago, adee07 said:

My point in saying this is that I've always struggled a bit to speak up to other adults.... it just feels hard inside lol 

I actually got that impression when I read about your interaction with the teacher. What I'm thinking is that your daughter may pick up on this. She may naturally have a more assertive personality and, with her precocious but three-year-old mentality, may be riding roughshod over your rules because she wants to and can. She doesn't understand the problems this causes because she's so young. Just a thought. I'm not saying that you shouldn't consult a professional.

By the way, I only omitted the middle part of your statement because I wanted to highlight the crux. I am glad that you've come a long way, and I'm sure you will continue to get better.

• Like 2

Yes- food can impact children's behavior for sure!  Food coloring, preservative and sugar all can have a negative impact. Some children are more sensitive to these ingredients than others but there is research available to support the negative impact.  You could send healthy food with your daughter and insist that she not be given other food than what you provide.  It can take days for the effects of these ingredients to wear off.  A healthy diet is one of the first things a pediatrician will recommend.  It is one thing you can control now, while you figure out the child care piece. 

• Thanks 2

Yes, please take the other posters’ advice and bring her to a child psychiatrist and also a pediatrician. I had a cousin who acted out from about age 3 to 7 and they found out she was being abused (outside the home by extended family). She would scream bloody murder if she didn’t get her way, she would pull at people’s clothes, pull hair, etc. Once I was laying on the floor watching TV and she bit my nose — HARD! — and left a mark. Please get her help. It it does end up being an extended “terrible twos” then at least you’ll know you tried what you could. In the mean time, go on long walks, get plenty of exercise and get a small dog. Dogs are great at teaching boundaries and using up a kid’s energy.

• Sad 1
On 12/14/2021 at 7:16 PM, Isthisbetter said:

Yes, please take the other posters’ advice and bring her to a child psychiatrist and also a pediatrician. I had a cousin who acted out from about age 3 to 7 and they found out she was being abused (outside the home by extended family). She would scream bloody murder if she didn’t get her way, she would pull at people’s clothes, pull hair, etc. Once I was laying on the floor watching TV and she bit my nose — HARD! — and left a mark. Please get her help. It it does end up being an extended “terrible twos” then at least you’ll know you tried what you could. In the mean time, go on long walks, get plenty of exercise and get a small dog. Dogs are great at teaching boundaries and using up a kid’s energy.

Thank you very much for sharing your story and I'm so glad your cousin was able to be helped, how scary! We really have been feeling curious/concerned about the current daycare having a part in our daughter's behaviors as well. We're taking it all very seriously. Thank you again for your input, much appreciated.

8 hours ago, adee07 said:

Thank you very much for sharing your story and I'm so glad your cousin was able to be helped, how scary! We really have been feeling curious/concerned about the current daycare having a part in our daughter's behaviors as well. We're taking it all very seriously. Thank you again for your input, much appreciated.

Seems to me as an outsider the daycare is not meeting her needs even if turns out -if -that she has learning differences/special needs- even for a typically developing child this daycare seems abysmal.  That Out of Sync Child book is great on this too.  I mentioned it above.  As a practical matter I see all over in my moms groups (large American city) that the wait times for childrens' therapists, etc are really long so maybe inquire and get on a wait list if there is such a thing? 

• 2 years later...

If you're worried about your child's behavior and suspect it might be ADHD or a sensory issue, it's a good idea to talk to their pediatrician. They can provide guidance on next steps. Remember, you're not alone, and seeking support is a positive step. You're doing great as a parent..