I (20M) forgot to ask for a girl's number

jakplo

Hi!

So I've just completed an internship at a company. I think I did a decent job and was well-liked among colleagues and customers. During this internship, I developed a friendship with a colleague and we flirted a bit. On my last day, she told me she would miss me but unfortunately I forgot to ask for any kind of contact details. She even said (jokingly) she would try to find out my number from the company's system which I should have probably taken as a hint. I think I would deeply regret if I never met this person again but I am now faced with the following dilemma: Her work email is the only way I have of getting in touch with them. On a scale of 1-10, how creepy/wrong would it be to contact her on her work email? It also doesn't help the situation that I am leaving the country in a few weeks.

Any advice is appreciated, I'm really not sure what to do here.

11 minutes ago, jakplo said:

Her work email is the only way I have of getting in touch with them. On a scale of 1-10, how creepy/wrong would it be to contact her on her work email? I am leaving the country in a few weeks.

Connect on a professional site such as LinkedIn.

There's no point pursuing her if you are leaving in a few weeks.

Yes it's creepy to ask for a date when you're leaving the country and she was clearly only being polite and professional.

Let's start with a definition of creepy vs non-creepy behavior that many in the general social public may agree - creepy is sending a message such as "Hey, enjoyed how your boobs pressed against your shirt, here's my digits, lets hook up" or sending repeated messages that the person does not reciprocate.  

Non-creepy is letting the person know you were in a rush on the last day and regret not asking if you can stay in contact. You know how you talked with her, so keep the message in the same style and take things from there depending on how she responds. It's been a while since I left a company, but I have maintained contact with coworkers for years after. Even if you're leaving the country for a while, you enjoyed talking with this woman, so there's nothing wrong with maintaining contact. If you don't give something a chance to develop, then it won't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, James516 said:

Let's start with a definition of creepy vs non-creepy behavior that many in the general social public may agree - creepy is sending a message such as "Hey, enjoyed how your boobs pressed against your shirt, here's my digits, lets hook up" or sending repeated messages that the person does not reciprocate.  

Non-creepy is letting the person know you were in a rush on the last day and regret not asking if you can stay in contact. You know how you talked with her, so keep the message in the same style and take things from there depending on how she responds. It's been a while since I left a company, but I have maintained contact with coworkers for years after. Even if you're leaving the country for a while, you enjoyed talking with this woman, so there's nothing wrong with maintaining contact. If you don't give something a chance to develop, then it won't.

Thank you for this, you helped me out a ton! 🙂

4 hours ago, jakplo said:

I think I would deeply regret if I never met this person again but I am now faced with the following dilemma: Her work email is the only way I have of getting in touch with them. On a scale of 1-10, how creepy/wrong would it be to contact her on her work email? It also doesn't help the situation that I am leaving the country in a few weeks.

She mentioned herself on idea of getting your number, so I dont find it creepy.

BUT, if you are leaving the country, I guess you'll just be distant friends, is all?