Finding my passion or what it means.

Hi all.  It's been a while since I've posted, probably longer than 2 years, but I feel I'm in a good place to start sharing my life again on these forums.  As it stands, I was struggling for while with near-poverty and some mental health issues, most of which are well behind me.  Now I just want to move forward, the  1 - 2 years of COVID isolation notwithstanding.   

I'm trying to find my passion and I'm having trouble finding out what it really is.  I thought, for example, I had a passion for literature but, somehow, even after years of studying lit at university, it was a passion that didn't hold my interest(which may be due to working an uncreative office job for the last 2 years, but that's another story).  I'm trying to found out what I really want to pour my time into and what really makes sense in terms of ... well, I guess I'm new to trying to pursue my passion after losing the fervor my previous passion.  I don't know what that means at this point and I don't know if there's a route to find such a thing.  Lately, all I've been doing is playing video games and watching youtube and netflix after work and I feel I can do more with my time.  

Without getting into to much detail, where do you think is a good start to try and add more meaning and more passion to my life without, like before, pursuing an avenue that may not lead anywhere?  

6 minutes ago, Silentlyfor said:

all I've been doing is playing video games and watching youtube and netflix

Glad to see you here, S. 

Well, for starters, nothing more likely to stifle any creativity or originality than what you just quoted. Stop these activities altogether, and that will clear your mind of clutter. 

Then,in silence, sit down and write out what truly grabs your imagination, and a list of a few things you have never tried but would love to try. Then get out and IRL meet like-minded people, who are involved in that "something" you really really want to try.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Silentlyfor said:

I'm trying to found out what I really want to pour my time into and what really makes sense in terms of ... well, I guess I'm new to trying to pursue my passion after losing the fervor my previous passion.  I don't know what that means at this point and I don't know if there's a route to find such a thing. 

What was your previous passion?

IMO, the word 'passion' seems a little strong.... but maybe just find what your interests truly are.. and if you want to learn, study or try something new now.

We can a variety of 'interests' through life.  I worked at an animal shelter for a few summers, I took up cake decorating for a few yrs.. recently I have learned to crochet, have done some jars of jams and yup, I still binge watch my shows 🙂 .

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, SooSad33 said:

What was your previous passion?

IMO, the word 'passion' seems a little strong.... but maybe just find what your interests truly are.. and if you want to learn, study or try something new now.

We can a variety of 'interests' through life.  I worked at an animal shelter for a few summers, I took up cake decorating for a few yrs.. recently I have learned to crochet, have done some jars of jams and yup, I still binge watch my shows 🙂 .

That's very good advice.  I suppose a good place to start are with things that 'interest' me rather than dive into something with passion like the depth the meaning of that word would imply.  

And, yeah, I have been meaning to branch out and do new things.  It may just be having to spend so much time indoors that has pushed away some of the fire behind what I used to enjoy.  

Thank you!  :D

• Like 1

Look at a highly recommended oldie but goodie book called What Color Is Your Parachute? I found one of my passions from an internship I did in high school.  I would seek out volunteer opportunities and get hands on experience in activities that spark your interest.  I wouldn't have the grand abstract vague goal of finding your passion -rather do actions and activities and interactions that interest you without the high expectation of "passion". The more you look for abstract "passion" the more it will elude you.  IMHO.