Pay rise and backdated pay

It's been alittle over half a year (7 months) since I started my new job. There was meant to be a salary review after 6 months but due to some circumstances, the actual review actually ended up happening and coming into effect a few days ago. I was told that it was going to be backdated, so would that just mean it applies from the 6 month point (as per contract)?

Thanks-I'm not used to a company giving me a pay rise this quickly, nor have I experienced pay being backdated so am alittle confused.

Yes if they say it's backdated to your six month point then they will give you an extra check or more money in your check to make up the difference. This is pretty common especially in larger companies where things move slowly and they can't always get stuff done right on the date it is supposed to happen. I've done that for my staff and made it retroactive to a certain agreed on date so they get what amounts to a little bonus in their next check.

In California, if a company (even a small firm) were to delay my annual review and pay raise (which is typically given on the anniversary date of my hire) for a few weeks or months even, the pay raise becomes retroactive from my anniversary date.

This has happened to me at some of my previous jobs, wherein they didn't get around to reviewing me for sometimes 3-4 months after my anniversary date, and then when they did get around to it, my next paycheck was always huge as it included the retroactive pay!

Not sure how it is in other states, but I would think the labor laws re this would be same or similar in every state.

Archived