This is a very personal question, and I am a little embarrassed to ask, but I don't know what else to do. I have a lump under my skin to the right of my vagina. I guess you would say in between the vagina and very beginning of the leg. It isn't a pimple and it doesn't have a head like a boil or pimple. It is only under the skin. My underwear rubs on it and it makes it tender all day. Does anyone know what it could possibly be, and please don't poke fun I am really concerned. My family has a history of having tumors and cysts, and I am scared. I don't have any medical insurance either so that makes my options for medical care slim to none. Anyone have suggestions.

It could just be a cyst, or even just a growth of extra tissue...I have a couple odd bumps like that on my body that are just extra cells almost or hard cysts, nothing to worry about.

However, because of the area it is in, and because it is bothersome for you I would definitely advise you go see your doctor to at least get it looked at. Go to an ER/University Hospital or whatever where they can't turn you away.

By the way, I think while they have to "charge" you, you can do something like pay one dollar a month or something, whatever works for you, but you should get it checked out.

Could this be a swollen gland? I am no doctor, and even if I was I would be unable to tell you online. I understand you're worried because of your genetic background. Just go to a doctor. The sooner you go, the better in the unlikely case it's something really serious.

Take care,

Ilse.

Hey,

I know you're worried, but try to relax. Do you shave down there cause if you do it could be an ingrown hair. Soak the area that has the problem in hot water, but be careful don't burn yourself. Do this for at least 5 days if you see no improvement what so ever you're going to have to go to the doctor.

Don't even think about playing around the idea that it could only be a cyst, It could but even cysts can be canceris. You need to go to the Dr. asap. There are lots of free clinics you could go too if you don't have health insurance.

I hope everything works out for you.

Qtpie87

It sounds like it might be an ingrown hair, which has now clogged the pore and is building up inside forming a lump. The suggestion made by another to soak with a hot/warm cloth should help to open up the clogged area and drain. If it doesn't go away I strongly suggest you have it checked by a doctor.

Don't even think about playing around the idea that it could only be a cyst, It could but even cysts can be canceris. You need to go to the Dr. asap. There are lots of free clinics you could go too if you don't have health insurance.

I hope everything works out for you.

Qtpie87

CUMMON IT MAY BE SERIOUS BUT IT AINT THAT SERIOUS DUN WORRY HER LIKE THAT

• 2 years later...

I have the same problem as you do. There is a good sized lump under my skin to the right between my leg and vagina. I was worried and was googling when i found this thread. I looked up what I believe to be the problem and it makes sense to me. I think it is Sebaceous Cysts.

It says they usually go away on their own and aren't really harmful.Also : "Sebaceous cysts are usually painless, slow-growing small bumps or lumps that move freely under the skin. It's important not to touch or try to remove the substance inside to prevent tenderness, swelling, and infection of a sebaceous cyst."

I'd like to give you the website but it won't let me post urls so i will have to try another way.

its at womanshealth(period)about(period)com(backslash)cs(backslash)dermatology(backslash)a(backslash)sebaceouscyst(period)htm

It'll explain what I think is the problem. I hope it's helpful.

CUMMON IT MAY BE SERIOUS BUT IT AINT THAT SERIOUS DUN WORRY HER LIKE THAT

Actually it could be that serious. You really need to get it checked out, especially given your family medical history. Chances are it's nothing but you need to make sure ASAP, just in case. RayKay was right about the emergency room/hospital, they will work with you and set up a payment plan that fits your needs.

It sounds like a cyst to me. Either sebaceous or what's called a 'bartholins cyst' which occurs when a lubrication duct in the vagina gets blocked. These can be quite big and painful. Don't worry though, they are completely benign. They need to be treated by being lanced (the technical term is 'marsupialized') which is a minor surgical procedure. Go to your GP and get it checked out and diagnosed properly. Don't be shy, this is your health we are talking about!!

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I dont know if anyones noticed but the thread is 3 years old, and her lump has probably been resolved...

But as for the above poster, really the only way to know is to see a doctor. Even if a doctor happened to read this, they would not be certain of what it was without a visual examination.....

So see a doctor.

• 3 months later...

and excessive testosterone production will cause such cysts.[5]

A case has been reported of sebaceous cyst being caused by Dermatobia hominis.[6]

And the Treatment is Surgical

Surgical excision of a sebaceous cyst is a simple procedure to completely remove the sac and its contents. [7]

There are three general approaches used: traditional wide excision, minimal excision, and punch biopsy excision.[8]

The typical outpatient surgical procedure for cyst removal is to numb the area around the cyst with a local anaesthetic, then to use a scalpel to open the lesion with either a single cut down the center of the swelling, or an oval cut on both sides of the centerpoint. If the cyst is small, it may be lanced instead. The person performing the surgery will squeeze out the keratin (the semi-solid material consisting principally of sebum and dead skin cells) surrounding the cyst, then use blunt-headed scissors or another instrument to hold the incision wide open while using fingers or forceps to try to remove the cyst intact. If the cyst can be removed in one piece, the "cure rate" is 100%.[citation needed] If, however, it is fragmented and cannot be entirely recovered, the operator may use curettage (scraping) to remove the remaining exposed fragments, then burn them with an electro-cauterization tool, in an effort to destroy them in place. In such cases the cyst may or may not recur. In either case, the incision is then disinfected and, if necessary, the skin is stitched back together over it. A scar will most likely result. In some cases where "cure rate" is not 100% the resulting hole is filled with an antiseptic ribbon after washing it with an iodine based solution. This is then covered with a field dressing. The ribbon and the dressing are to be changed once or twice daily for 7-10 days after which the incision is sewed up.

An infected cyst may require oral antibiotics or other treatment before and/or after excision.

An approach involving incision, rather than excision, has also been proposed.[9]

Nonsurgical

Another common and effective method of treatment involves placement of a heat-pad directly on the cyst for about fifteen minutes, twice daily, for about 10 days (depending on size and location of the cyst).[10] There is some anecdotal evidence however that this home remedy can lead to infection in a previously uninfected cyst. This may be caused by an over-heated or non-sterile heat pad.

This method works by bringing the temperature of the wax-like material inside of the cyst to a temperature at which it melts, and can be reabsorbed and processed by the body, as a small amount of oily fluid. This method is preferred over surgery both for reasons of associated costs and risks of surgery. This methodology is not applicable for non-sebaceous cysts, however, as other varieties of cysts do not contain the same hardened sebum deposits, and thereforee do not melt to be reabsorbed by the body.

Under no circumstances must one try to pop the cyst, as it can lead to infection of the surrounding tissue. The neck is a particularly dangerous region, due to the glands and blood vessels.

Well hopefully this helps some people

"]