There seems to be a communication breakdown in my relationship

Bss

So, I've been with my boyfriend for almost three years. He has never been good with words really and I've gotten use to that. I'm not a big talker myself, but we get along pretty good and seem to have fun together when we hang out. Ever since we met, during the weekdays, we have always exchanged a small handful of texts every night or we call each other on occasion (I think our longest phone conversation was almost ten minutes). We almost always spend the weekend nights together. Its hardly a smothering relationship as far as I know. We've even been exclusive since we met, but a couple things bother me. Sometimes when his week starts out really bad (his job can be stressful), he pulls back a bit and might not hardly text. I've read that this can be normal. This week seems different. I texted him Monday night and never heard anything. I tried again an hour later and he got back to me. He was at the bar, so there were several minutes or even close to an hour between exchanges. Its annoying since he just got on my case recently about how I sometimes wait an hour or better before I respond, which has never been on purpose. I called him last night and it was awkward. Shouldn't be awkward after almost three years. We have talked on occasion about a future together and I'm just not sure if thats going to happen. One thing I'm tired of is him always going to the bar after even a mildly bad day and he seems to have a lot of bad days. Sure, his job is stressful and the bar is fine on occasion, but it would be nice if he would come over to my house on occasion and just hang out instead of drinking his problems away. We live in a small area where everybody knows everybody and he gets to the bar alone more than any other guy in a relationship by far. I've made that point several times among other points that I won't get into. I've always been cool, but firm about making points and not demanding, but nothing ever sticks. What can a person do?

It sounds like that's the kind of guy he is. He's a drinker and a loner. He wants a girlfriend, but he's not a communicator. The fact that he shows up on the weekends means he likes you or else he wouldn't bother with you. You have to think about whether this is the type of guy you want. Some women would be totally turned off by his actions and lack of attention. Some women might want the kind of guy who leaves them alone. It's up to you.

Archived