Thinking of moving on..but waiting for a payout..should i?

I have been at my job for 12 and a half years. We had a very big change recently with moving location.

I am struggling, and for the first time ever i really don't enjoy work.

My partner and family say to wait it out and make them pay. Wait for them to hopefully make me redundant and that i have worked there too long to walk away with nothing.

And its a stable job with good pay. I am looking at doing some courses in warehousing to further my knowledge and make myself attractive to new employers.

Am i overreacting?? What should i do? I think studying and getting my forklift licence will pay off. And hopefully get me a new job closer to home.

I have been at my job for 12 and a half years. We had a very big change recently with moving location.

I am struggling, and for the first time ever i really don't enjoy work.

What is it that you no longer enjoy? Is this about the commute, or has something about your role changed?

My partner and family say to wait it out and make them pay. Wait for them to hopefully make me redundant and that i have worked there too long to walk away with nothing.

And its a stable job with good pay. I am looking at doing some courses in warehousing to further my knowledge and make myself attractive to new employers.

Am i overreacting?? What should i do? I think studying and getting my forklift licence will pay off. And hopefully get me a new job closer to home.

Clarify what the problems are with the job now, learn whether anything about these may change over time, and update your resume to test the job market and see whether equal or better jobs closer to home exist and are hiring.

I'd do my share of research before doing anything, and I'd consider whether a redundancy layoff is a possible outcome. If so, I'd hang in there to see what kind of package a 12 year employee is offered to exit.

Archived