Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

What makes a maker?

maker

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is a moot point anyways, I probably wouldn't know how to approach. This way, when most of the players are either out of my age bracket, guys or both, I don't have to spoil my game with awkward attempts.

"Hey girl, I couldn't help but take a pikachu"?

...and this, ladies and gentlemen, is why LightWave93 does not get laid.

Yep, not a single meet up in my city. The closest ones are in the capital, that means about two hours' drive (depending on the traffic). I don't really know if I should try and get into those, since I'm always going to be at a disadvantage.

I'm reluctant to move. My job pays well above average, there's a chance for further promotion and uprooting myself just to move back to the capital and start from scratch doesn't sound all that smart. But it would at least solve the scarcity issue, there are women everywhere. Students, tourists, it's almost crazy when I compare it to this place.

Since you get paid a decent wage, would it not be worth the commute?

I mean personally I'd be reluctant to travel four hours a day for a job myself, I'm simply adding food for thought. Though you've probably thought about it already.

Personally I had a long-distance relationship with a similar commute, so maybe it might be worth the meetups to meet potential partners/friends.

I can see how the daily commute affects some of the people I work with and I wouldn't trade places with them, definitely not for the same amount of money. I'm also reluctant to even consider something long distance, since I would have to bear the burden of coming over to see someone, every single time.

Somehow I'm not convinced that anyone would jump at the opportunity for long distance when there are literally hundreds of thousands of single guys within reach of the public transportation system. Same reason why I don't do my grocery shopping in the neighboring country.

I can see how the daily commute affects some of the people I work with and I wouldn't trade places with them, definitely not for the same amount of money. I'm also reluctant to even consider something long distance, since I would have to bear the burden of coming over to see someone, every single time.

Fair enough mate, whatever you're happy/comfortable with.

Uh, actually that would only happen half the time. She'd travel to see you, too.

Haha, you'd think that...

Sheesh, you guys just pick the wrong women! You gotta find the ones that put in as much effort as you do!

Or turn gay. No joke, friends put me Grindr and there was no end to my matches. I had to stop them when they started arranging a date with a 46 year old Lithuanian man.

Lightwave, your friends seem to have a very specific sort of humor. I know they say that the true love waits abroad but I doubt it's some guy from the Baltics or a prince charming from Albania. Yeah, not 'turning gay' any time soon. Or never.

I've heard variations of it, mostly be people who romanticise the idea of mail order brides and how foreign women are better than those already in the country.

There are a couple towns on a straight line between the capital and the city where I work and live. Nothing bigger than 20 000 people, that makes me think I'd be worse off when it comes to dating opportunities. And I definitely don't want to end up in some village, where the only forms of entertainment are alcoholism, village league soccer and gossip because everyone knows everything.

Nothing bigger than 20 000 people, that makes me think I'd be worse off when it comes to dating opportunities. And I definitely don't want to end up in some village, where the only forms of entertainment are alcoholism, village league soccer and gossip because everyone knows everything.

It's worth taking chances, my friend. I'd like to think a loving, long-term relationship would be worth the minor inconvenience of travel, village drama etc.

I seriously doubt that any relationship in the world is worth the 'joys' of village lifestyle. You know what they say, dumb people with ideas are the most dangerous.

The stress of working on time sensitive jobs is going to kill me one day. I haven't been nearly as productive as I wanted to be when I woke up, even though the deadline is coming with the same inevitable pace as death and taxes. At least that musket should be a nice gift to myself once things settle down. Until then, it's just work and more work, CAD till I drop.

Well, something will have to change if you want more, Maker. Unless you're prepared to date someone in your current location; willing to move closer to the capital; willing to commute to either/or your job and/or date; then I don't see anything changing in your favor, given everything you've told us here.

What about a long distance relationship?

This particular one I've been working on since June. Given that it's basically designing something from the ground up and the customer did specify that all of the external parts had to be as accurate as possible, I'd probably need two more months to do it at a somewhat reasonable pace. Unfortunately the deadline was there right from the start, maybe I should have refused to do it.

WL, now that you list things out, I must sound exactly like Dougie. That's a scary revelation.

The thing with travelling for dates and long distance relationships in particular is the inevitable failure of things. Your partner eventually gets fed up with the lack of contact and/or intimacy and they are going to find someone else. Maybe my view of people and their integrity is overly pessimistic but I have a number of examples where this has happened to my friends. Hell, even a guy from work broke up with his long term (I believe they were together over 3 years) girlfriend after she spent a couple months abroad for an internship.

Archived