Advice for getting a tatoo

This seemed like the most appropriate forum for this question.

I am finishing up my master's degree and when I complete my final exam I want to get a tatoo. I designed it myself, it's not really to celebrate completing my degree but in memory of my mother who passed away last year. She was all about learning and education so I told myself that as soon as I finished my degree I would get a tatoo to honor her. Because this will have so much meaning to me I want to make sure I do it right. I know the basics: Look for a place that is clean, pay attentions to reviews they get, look at the artists work etc but does anyone have any other advice? Something you didn't think of until you got your tatoo?

Places that you can just walk into are usually not the best. If you find an artist that doesn't have an appointment for a few weeks/months they are usually the really good ones. Check out their Instagram (most good artists have one) see if you like their work and what people are saying about them.

DO NOT GET A TATTOO BASED ON PRICE. You will have to pay $150/HR or more for a good quality tattoo with a reputable artist. Expect it to take longer than you think. If you think it will take 1 HR save enough money for 2. Also most artists and shops take cash only. You will probably not be able to put this on a credit card. And you will most likely have to give a cash deposit in advance of your appointment.

Personally I prefer female artists because they usually have a lighter touch and really understand where a tattoo will look good on you. Also if the artists suggests a different placement on the body go with it. They know what they are talking about.

A good quality tattoo takes TIME and MONEY.

I have 7 tattoos and counting, these are a few things I've learned along the way. Will edit if I think of anything else.

I'm not sure what the laws are in the United States, so first ensure that they have all licensing they need, and have it displayed in the shop.

The majority of shops now have facebook pages, etc. Look up a few shops in your area on facebook, read reviews, look at the pictures that customers have put up, not just the business, see how they interact with their customers. Also, don't be troubled by 1 bad review, my artist has a couple bad ones simply because he would not do what they wanted and the person got butthurt. He takes his art and his business very seriously.

Talk to people you know with nice tattoos, and don't ever go when someone says "I know a guy".

A good shop will have you make an appointment, and the artist will be want to see what you want, and help you improve it or change it, and give a valuable opinion. Not just take the picture and slap on a stencil.

Whether everything seems clean or not, do not remove your eyes from their hands when they are opening needles, etc. Use the washroom before you start, a decent tattoo artist will not let you move mid tattoo, nevermind go into a bathroom.

A cheap tattoo isn't good, and a good tattoo isn't cheap. First thing you see in my artists shop when you walk in.

Listen to word of mouth. Great tattooists take ages to get into, if you can book an appointment instantly, RUN!!!!!!

Check out their Facebook pages, and if you see someone with a great tattoo, ask them where they got it. Most people will be flattered, and will gladly heap praise on their tattooist.

My tattooist also has done my Son & Daughter, she is amazing & very hard to get into.

Archived